Help clearing up Medical and Student Loans

I'm trying to help my brother with his years of neglect on his credit. I just got him to get a secured credit card with BOA to start building.

He currently has 27 collection items on there. Most are Medical and student loans. He has no intention on paying any of the loans off.

A few of the student loans were reported in 10-2002*and should be removed in October if I am not mistaken. It's around 30k in debt showing on his credit report.

I had 6 items on my report -- all medical-- that I was able to get removed by disputing with the CRA. It took about 8 months but I just sent out letter after letter until it was eventually removed.

1. Am I right about the Dept of Education loans being removed after 7 yrs (10-2009)

2. Should I try the same method to dispute and hope that eventually it gets removed?

3. There are other smaller outstanding student loans for individual schools he attended -- Would the dispute process work the same as it would for medical?

I'm trying to help my brother with his years of neglect on his credit. I just got him to get a secured credit card with BOA to start building.

He currently has 27 collection items on there. Most are Medical and student loans. He has no intention on paying any of the loans off.

A few of the student loans were reported in 10-2002*and should be removed in October if I am not mistaken. It's around 30k in debt showing on his credit report.

I had 6 items on my report -- all medical-- that I was able to get removed by disputing with the CRA. It took about 8 months but I just sent out letter after letter until it was eventually removed.

1. Am I right about the Dept of Education loans being removed after 7 yrs (10-2009)

2. Should I try the same method to dispute and hope that eventually it gets removed?

3. There are other smaller outstanding student loans for individual schools he attended -- Would the dispute process work the same as it would for medical?

if you dont pay your federal student loans, they will just get your tax refund, what you need to do is talk to a student ombudsman at the Dept of education,

They took his tax refund years ago. They don't take them anymore.

Its just sitting in collections / delinquent.

you still need to talk to a ombudsman, they can reinstate the tax lien,

do you know how much they took? how much is really owed? did he finish the school?,you can get a refund if the school closed before graduation.

did he only go X and they paid for XX more? did they report the correct class course?

how we got our cleared: hubby was at KNAPP "biz school" taking computer repair,, school closed 1/2 of the way in( bankrupt) . school reported to DOEd

he "graduated" basic electronics,,school was paid in full for the whole course,

( he already had a CET in electronics from another school) we started getting DOED statements, school closed ect,, no matter they took out taxes 6 years to pay for the school,, BUT I kept every "report card and the original contract with the school..showed dates and class's ect..took me FIVE Years of fighting, until i got a ombudsman.. not only did they fix, they sent back All the tax money plus interest, within three weeks..lesson TALK to the student ombudsman,, they are there to help.

He went to University of Florida ... they haven't closed. He never finished. Instead, he came here and went to University of Miami.

He never paid any of the student loans. Nor has he really paid any bills in life and now hes starting to realize it will catch up to him.

I'm confident I can dispute the Medical stuff and eventually get it removed. The Dept of Education and other schools listed on the report will be tougher. Do you think it would be best to just leave them be until they are removed from the credit report after 7 years? Most of the items are from 2002-2003

My mother paid for the UM schooling since he messed up with the UF student loans.

UNIV OF FL

Date Open 10-2004*

Balance Date 07-2006*

Balance Amount $112*

Date of Status 07-2006*

Collector DP OF EDUC*

Date Open 07-2003*

Balance Date

Balance Amount $2178*

Collector DP OF EDUC*

Date Open 09-2003*

Balance Date

Balance Amount $1090*

Collector DP OF EDUC*

Date Open 10-2002*

Balance Date

Balance Amount $4441*

Collector DP OF EDUC*

Date Open 09-2003*

Balance Date

Balance Amount $2562*

Collector DP OF EDUC*

Date Open 10-2002*

Balance Date

Balance Amount $4355*

if they are close to falling off, i say leave them alone, but its up to him, why wake a junk yard -mean sleeping dog?

I can help a little with medical, you send a standard DV, ( to the collections) a investigation letter to the DR. ( original creditor)

BUT on a CA you add, as this is a medical account, any signed HIPPA athourization, and a copy of your HIPPA business contract,

now why is that important? Hippa says a dr must have a BC in place Before releasing YOUR person "health information" a dr can Only provide minimum information about you to a CA, Name, Address ( minus full zip) SSN, account number ,amount due and drs information

SO if you get a "detailed" billing from a CA, dr's on the hook, but you can NOT sue, {you have to file a HHS- civil rights complaint against the Dr,} a Dr who is in Violaton of HIPPA can face BIG Fines, Lost of LIcence and Jail time, you can call your Local Civil rights office ,

CA is on the hook for it also if they HAVE NO CONTRACT, again nice fine there,,you can sue the CA directly.yes CA's do fall under HIPPA if they collect medical bills

Now , if they have a contract, you have the rights to see what information they have on you ( you must ask!), how they safegaurd your information and how they provide access to that information,who has seen that information and why,just as a drs has to comply so does the CA,

if your bill looks like this

account 123

date 1/1/08 code/ 345 amount due $XXX this is not a violation

Looks like this

name address, phone ssn,id numbers ect

Date 1/1/08 a$$ lift $xxx this is a Violation

one can know from this bill exactly who & what exactly was done...

Thanks!

I figured I'd let the DOE stuff just fall off after a year or two.

It's just past he will have to live with.

Ill start sending around 50 letters out tomorrow to dispute medical :)

you need to send CMRRR, at around 5.35 a pop...hopeful you can condense a few if its the same dr/ medical hospital, hope ya happen to have about $260.00 for postageo and make Three copies of each, 1 send, 2nd save for another letter( when you send your 2nd notice include another copy of 1st ) and 3rd for your files..

• 3 months later...

This is interesting Fla Lawyer..... My only Negative blemish on my CR's and its only with EX is five 90 day late loans from 2000. I was in school at the time so I should have been in deferment but this website states that if you consolidate your loans it will fix your credit. I consolidated about 4 years ago and all it did was show that it was paid with Brazos School loans and now Sallie Mae shows them as 90 day lates. This site also says that it will remain on your CR for 7 years well its been 9 and EQ and TU have removed them but EX refuses too. When I tried to dispute these accounts again EX told me " we have already verified these accounts! " This is all I have negative on my CR and like I said its only with EX. They are so old but have hurt my credit score by 40 points. What should I do ? :confused: