Collection Agency provided wrong address by OC

hahuhobard

I just spoke with original creditor about some collections that have been put on my credit report. Here is what she told me...

1. The only information they have is the original order.

2. They sent bills to me that were returned by the USPS incorrect address. USPS provided a new address that was not current/correct.

3. All the bills have now been purged from the system because it was sold to collection agency.

She is going to send me a claim form with the address provided by the post office listed. She will hand wright my current, correct address on the outside. She said I could use this to dispute the account with the collection agency.

What exactly does this new information offer me? Do you all think the collection agency will remove the listing from Credit report because of this informaiton?

thank you.

What is this "bill" for? Your first bullet point seems to indicate that it was for some merchandise via mail order. Did you actually order this merchandise?

If you did not, then the Federal Mail Order Rule comes into play...which, put simply, is an FTC rule that says you don't have to pay for things you did not ask for. The Rule goes so far as to say that even if you did get the merchandise they claim to have sent, if you didn't ask for it, you can keep it and consider it a free gift. This was put in place this way to discourage mail order vendors from shipping un-asked-for merchandise and then billing people for it.

This is a medical collection. The company is Lab Corp. They are the ones that sent the bill and were told it was a wrong address.

Since I never recieved a bill, I never paid it. This all happened in September 2003.

Now, Oxford Collections has reported it on credit reports. Every time I talk to Oxford, they insist they have sent validation but always to the wrong address, which was provided by Lab Corp. Of course, I have provided them the correct address like 4 times and they still don't send it.

So, to clarify what I stated before...

1. The only information they have (Lab Corp) is the original order.

2. They (Lab Corp) sent bills to me that were returned by the USPS incorrect address. USPS provided a new address that was not current/correct.

3. All the bills have now been purged from the (Lab Corp) system because it was sold to collection agency.

She (Lab Corp) is going to send me a claim form with the address provided by the post office listed. She will hand wright my current, correct address on the outside. She said I could use this to dispute the account with the collection agency.