Mann Bracken calling; Debtor Not Me!

SECD67109

I'm getting phone calls from Mann Bracken for my Ex-husband whom I have been divorced for eight years. When I answer I get a recorded message saying who they are calling for and with a return phone number that is not any good("..intended recipients mailbox is full")

I am married with a different name two years now, my ex never lived at my current address or phone number, why are they calling me and how do I get them to stop it?!?!?!?!

Unless you already do so on a regular basis; I suggest you pull your credit reports form the three major bureaus and make sure that nothing is being reported that shouldn’t be and/or that there isn’t a tradeline (even a “good”) for an account that you never opened.

I suggest that because you should rule out any chance that your ex has opened an account in your name without your knowledge/permission (AKA ID Theft). Pulling your reports will also tell you if this CA is reporting anything on your reports; that can happen even if no “ID Theft” is involved at all.

Assuming nothing is on your bureaus then you have three options as I see it…

1. Would be to just ignore their calls as they will almost certainly stop eventually.

2. Another would be to get their address and send a CMRRR letter to them to explain that you are getting these calls asking you to call “X” number (that never works) and that they are asking for X name and that Mr. X doesn’t live there and has never lived there and your number is NOT his number and demand they stop calling you (hopefully, they will stop).

3. Your other option is to take one of their calls and essentially explain to them what I suggested in option 2 (although I’d follow-up with a letter as I described in option 2).

Whether doing any or all three of the above will truly solve the problem is impossible to say…it may or it may not. If it doesn’t then there are other things you can do but no need to cross that bridge until you come to it.

...why are they calling me and how do I get them to stop it?!?!?!?!

They are calling you because they are trying to locate your ex. Although if you are only getting recorded messages when you answer, they are doing it in pretty stupid way, IMHO. And since they have found you, his ex, despite name and address changes, that just goes to show what good skip-tracing is available these days.

By law, once you communicate to them that you do not have contact information for your ex, they are not supposed to call you again. Robert's advice is good, especially about checking your credit report, just in case. I would recommend his Option 2, since #1 will take a while to work, and you've essentially been trying #3, but unable establish a dialogue.

Good luck,

DH

Thanks for the helpful replies and yes I had already gotten my credit reports right before I posted the question, every thing looked cool. Now I am worried about my daughters since she and I only lived there since she was nine, she is now 17. I am finding out now how to check her report.

Also I spent my own dime on long distance and called the 301 area code number that showed up on ID and finally talked to a human instead of getting a recorded message--- Explained to her the whole thing and I am now hoping that I will have no more Mann Bracken on my ID but I seriously doubt it.

I am almost positive they will keep calling. Two other questions>>> If I do know how they can get in touch with my ex am I obligated to tell them or should I just never communicate with them again now that I have told a person to stop? If the need arises to write them the letter that was mentioned above where would I send it to since they are such a big company and in so many states?

Thanks for the helpful replies and yes I had already gotten my credit reports right before I posted the question, every thing looked cool. Now I am worried about my daughters since she and I only lived there since she was nine, she is now 17. I am finding out now how to check her report.

Also I spent my own dime on long distance and called the 301 area code number that showed up on ID and finally talked to a human instead of getting a recorded message--- Explained to her the whole thing and I am now hoping that I will have no more Mann Bracken on my ID but I seriously doubt it.

I am almost positive they will keep calling. Two other questions>>> If I do know how they can get in touch with my ex am I obligated to tell them or should I just never communicate with them again now that I have told a person to stop? If the need arises to write them the letter that was mentioned above where would I send it to since they are such a big company and in so many states?

You have no obligation whatsoever to reveal location information about a debtor to a debt collector. You can tell them if you wish or you can tell them what to go do with themselves or you can draw a map to your ex's house if you want to...it's entirely up to you.

I would still advise you to follow-up your phone conversation with what is commonly called a "C&D" letter to tell them, in writing and sent CRRRR to cease communicating with you...once you do that; if they continue to call they are then in violation of the law (FDCPA) for which you can sue them.

It is important, by the way, for parents to keep track of their children's credit reports - thanks to our computerized world with almost every facet of our lives on the internet somewhere and our wonderful Federal government requiring every living thing to have a social security number; underage children are a prime target for ID Theft.