Original Creditor won't validate 13 year old debt

So why am I stressed about a 13 year old debt? My alleged debt is to a community college in Florida. I just graduated from another college with my AA. I need my transcript to finish my BA in history. I currently live in Texas and have since 1999.

The college says I owe them money, $510.00, for my last semester, I say I don't. I was told, verbally, back in the fall of 1996 that I was disenrolled for non-payment because my financial aid had fallen through, but that I didn't owe them any money. Then in 2000, I requested and received an official transcript from them. At that time, the college did not claim I owed them money, however that fall my account was allegedly sent to a collection agency and then returned to the OC two years later. I have asked for verification of the debt, but other than saying, "Yes," I owe them money I have received nothing from the college proving I owe them any money. All my requests for copies of invoices, correspondence, information about the CA, etc. have been ignored. Today I received my first even invoice from the college generated in May of 2009. Also all there correspondence requests that I prove I have paid them! Do I have any recourse? How can I make this go away and still get my transcripts?

So why am I stressed about a 13 year old debt? My alleged debt is to a community college in Florida. I just graduated from another college with my AA. I need my transcript to finish my BA in history. I currently live in Texas and have since 1999.

The college says I owe them money, $510.00, for my last semester, I say I don't. I was told, verbally, back in the fall of 1996 that I was disenrolled for non-payment because my financial aid had fallen through, but that I didn't owe them any money. Then in 2000, I requested and received an official transcript from them. At that time, the college did not claim I owed them money, however that fall my account was allegedly sent to a collection agency and then returned to the OC two years later. I have asked for verification of the debt, but other than saying, "Yes," I owe them money I have received nothing from the college proving I owe them any money. All my requests for copies of invoices, correspondence, information about the CA, etc. have been ignored. Today I received my first even invoice from the college generated in May of 2009. Also all there correspondence requests that I prove I have paid them! Do I have any recourse? How can I make this go away and still get my transcripts?

what kind of "loan" was this originally? if it was a "student"loan, Call the DEPT of Ed, talk to a Ombusman, they should help you get this solved. and they should have access to your records

Go through the department of education and get an ombudsman involved. I had similar deal except mine was in the form of money owed to a trade school in Chicago. I would have been only 15 when the money was given. Again go through the department of education.

• 2 weeks later...

Unless you took out a loan guaranteed by the federal government, this alleged debt is probably considered to be an institutional loan (or credit extended by the institution without a repayment agreement). If so then this is UNCOLLECTABLE (unless you made a payment that tolled the running of the SOL). Also, the Department of Education doesn't get involved unless the loan was guaranteed through a federal program.

Unless you took out a loan guaranteed by the federal government, this alleged debt is probably considered to be an institutional loan (or credit extended by the institution without a repayment agreement). If so then this is UNCOLLECTABLE (unless you made a payment that tolled the running of the SOL). Also, the Department of Education doesn't get involved unless the loan was guaranteed through a federal program.

I disagree they cover all schools, that MAY be covered by a federal loan.