Experian & Equifax -- DRAMA...

So, for about a year and a half, I have been fighting with my student loan provider (ACS) and Experian to report my account correctly. They have been reporting it as "discharged in bankruptcy" but, I have been paying the account as agreed - never late, etc. I have sent multiple requests CMRRR to Experian & ACS but never got anywhere.

Finally, I got to the point where I was going to sue and take to small claims court. I called Experian and spoke to some nasty guy who said they have disputed it 4-5x but ACS keeps confirming it is correct. ACS send me a letter in February saying all derogatory information has been removed, but Experian doesn't update. I called ACS again and told them the situation and they told me to call Experian and request to have the security freeze to be removed so the update could process (didn't really make sense)... so I called Experian back and got some nice girl -- explained the situation and told her I sent the ACS letter to them in February. She looked in the database and found it and said "I don't know why we didn't update it before -- this letter is enough to clear the derogatory status." So, finally, after a year and a half - Experian is correct.

Switch over to Equifax -- same ACS account was showing as "discharged in Bankruptcy." Back in April 2009, I disputed it and on 4/22/09 received a notice showing that it has been corrected to show "Paid as Agreed/Current." Now, this week -- it has changed back to "discharged in Bankruptcy." Called Equifax and talked to a lady that was impossible to communicate with. I kept telling her that it was disputed less than 30 days ago, and the information was confirmed inaccurate and updated on 4/22/09. I finally had to ask for a supervisor .. after being on hold for 4 minutes -- she came back on and said "I will take good care of this for you." Told me to check my email for a confirmation .. logging into Equifax it looks like she just started another dispute.... :evil:

Seriously -- I am tired of the credit bureau's! It sucks that individuals are graded so much on credit score, but its a nightmare to try and fix something when its wrong. I have had a lot of things fixed easily, but this one account has been HORRIBLE!!!

I am hoping that Equifax fixes itself pretty quickly ... but if Experian changes back to negative -- I think I will go crazy!! Anyways, just had to vent over this..

As annoying as it may be...dispute again with all three CRA's. Stating you never filed bankruptcy.

If you get "confirmed" or "verified" from the CRA's then contact ACS and request what documentation they have that indicates you filed bankruptcy.

Thats the thing -- ACS says they are NOT reporting BK.. so they are as puzzled as why it keeps showing up as I am. Somewhere, the info is all messed up -- its a total pain!

Already started another round of disputes ... round and round I go. .

I had something similar happen to me. Somehow either the ACS people have entered BK into your tradeline set up or the CRA's have done it. They dont realize they have done it...or at least thats the game they played with him. My OC had to submit an tradeline correction form to the CRA to finally remove the BK from the tradeline.

Based on personal experience, I can also add that American Express routinely reports corporate card account info on the named cardholder's personal credit report -- even when the account is paid in full and on time each month.

Now, it is also rather easy to have such TLs supressed from your report. Just dispute the account as "not my financial responsibility" (or simply "not mine"). I have been successful in getting two different AMEX accounts suppressed -- with Experian, Equifax, and TU!

• 4 weeks later...

And here we go again .. Experian now is reporting discharged in BK ... Equifax is "reinvestigating" based on the letter I sent them (which was a letter from ACS saying no BK).

I think I am going to just consolidate it to a new loan to get rid of dealing with ACS (and hopefully lower interest rate) .. once it moves, any ideas on how to get it to report correctly once and for all??

• 2 weeks later...
I would consider filing suit at this point. All those FCRA violations at 1k a piece should compensate you for your time.

Yeah I have thought about that -- (would probably get enough to pay the loan off!). I just am really confused on how to go about suing them -- the company (ACS) is based on NY State, but I know their company has another office here (but doesnt do student loan servicing) -- so do I do small claims here in AZ or do I have to file in NY? I posted this question before and was told to find an authorized agent to serve, but I am not sure I was looking for the right thing.

I really don't want to *pay* to hire an attorney -- at this point, I have already submitted the loan consolidation paperwork (which is lowering my interest 1.5%) so if I can get it just say PAID on the credit report, I will be happy.

A paid collection is still a collection account on your report

It isn't a collection ... The account is being reported as "Discharged in BK" but it WASNT discharged. It is a student loan, so it can't be discharged. I have sent multiple statements to the credit bureau's and ACS showing that it is current, but whenever it is updated, the BK status keeps coming back.