Walmart card app asks for driver's license #

Does anyone have any idea what they do with your driver's license number? Do they report it to credit bureaus? My first instinct was to not want to provide it. Somewhere I read that you don't want this information in your credit file. On the other hand, maybe I'm overreacting and this isn't any big deal. Maybe they want to be able to check your ID from time to time when you use your card at the store? What do you think about this - reasonable request, or not? Would the application be less likely to be approved with that info not filled in?

Does anyone have any idea what they do with your driver's license number? Do they report it to credit bureaus? My first instinct was to not want to provide it. Somewhere I read that you don't want this information in your credit file. On the other hand, maybe I'm overreacting and this isn't any big deal. Maybe they want to be able to check your ID from time to time when you use your card at the store? What do you think about this - reasonable request, or not? Would the application be less likely to be approved with that info not filled in?

look at your state laws regarding privacy, oddly enough in washington a person can not maintain data base with your drivers licence or other "official id" they can look at it for "age" verification , and Positive ID, the argument being that a "private" data base maybe used to help ID fraud

To help the skip tracer find you. Your address may change, but unless you move out of State your DL number doesn't.

LOL about helping the skip tracer find you. I had not thought of that, but you are probably exactly right.

After I posted that, I saw that the Target cc app also requests a driver's license # so I guess these days it's getting to be common.

thegame26 oh yeah the patriot act could be to blame. That's the reason why no one is guaranteed privacy about their library usage or cell phone records...

I went ahead and submitted the Walmart app with my license number on there. I hated putting the driver's license number but I don't want to give them another reason not to approve it. I was looking over at the whogavemecredit site and it looks like people with scores similar to mine were often getting $200-$400 limits so I figure I have a good chance.

cbairey I took your suggestion and did a little reading about virginia privacy laws. It seems that they are not allowed to base a sale on you providing your date of birth on a check. And if they write down your driver's license number on a check, they cannot sell that data to anyone, but they can use it to validate the check. Very interesting - I'm going to try to read more.