nascar

Yet another citizen executed by the police...

Polk deputies shoot, kill man who pointed .22 at them

Friday, May 15, 2009

POLK COUNTY (Bay News 9) -- Polk County deputies shot and killed an armed man Thursday night

According to the Polk County Sheriff's Office, 27-year-old Edmond "Eddie" Sutton was arguing with his parents at their home on South Lake Region Boulevard in Winter Haven.

Deputies say Sutton banged his fist on his mother's car as she fled in the car. When deputies arrived, Sutton was holding a .22-caliber gun and pointed it at the deputies. The deputies ordered him to drop his weapon, but said he refused to do so. Three deputies fired a total of 24 shots at Sutton, with 10 hitting him. He died at a hospital.

The sheriff's office says Sutton may have fired a couple of shots at the deputies, but none of them were hit.

The sheriff's office is conducting an internal affairs investigations and the State Attorney's office is also conducting a review of the incident.

If you want a license to kill, become a police officer.

I'm the first to question the tactics used by some police, but based on the limited info in the article, they didn't have much choice.

Somebody's head, on the other hand, ought to roll for this:

If you are a student of history, and want a WTF moment, check this out! Hitler and Stalin would be proud.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/14/us/14explorers.html?_r=3&hp

I'm the first to question the tactics used by some police, but based on the limited info in the article, they didn't have much choice.

QUOTE]

I don't think we can say that for sure. We only see the second half of the video, he may have tried to run over a police officer at the outset of the chase...

Also, he may told him multuple times to put his hands behind his back, once he doesn't do that he's within his rights to use force to get his hands behind his back.

QUOTE]

I don't think we can say that for sure. We only see the second half of the video, he may have tried to run over a police officer at the outset of the chase...

Also, he may told him multuple times to put his hands behind his back, once he doesn't do that he's within his rights to use force to get his hands behind his back.

Anybody who feels sorry for that gang banger should watch the whole video where he drove on the sidewalk at 80 miles an hour.He forfeited his right to be treated with respect,this was a gangster who would beat the **** out of you in a second,I'm sorry they have no place in this world,harsh treatment yeah but he'll live.
Anybody who feels sorry for that gang banger should watch the whole video ...

Regardless, a police officer isn't any more entitled to kick someone in the head than you or I. Next time, it could be you or someone in your family. Will it still be OK then?

Anybody who feels sorry for that gang banger should watch the whole video where he drove on the sidewalk at 80 miles an hour.He forfeited his right to be treated with respect,this was a gangster who would beat the **** out of you in a second,I'm sorry they have no place in this world,harsh treatment yeah but he'll live.

The perp was no longer a threat, there was no reason to kick him. Courts decide appropriate punishment, not cops. Big lawsuit coming, I think, plus criminal charges.

The perp was no longer a threat, there was no reason to kick him. Courts decide appropriate punishment, not cops. Big lawsuit coming, I think, plus criminal charges.

If the suspect d/n resond or listen to police orders they are well within their rights to use force to get the suspect to comply. They could've been ordering him to put his hands behind his back, once he put them to his side he's posing a threat by not compling.

Deputies say Sutton banged his fist on his mother's car as she fled in the car. When deputies arrived, Sutton was holding a .22-caliber gun and pointed it at the deputies. The deputies ordered him to drop his weapon, but said he refused to do so. Three deputies fired a total of 24 shots at Sutton, with 10 hitting him. He died at a hospital.

-How would you have handled it NASCAR?

Would you try to talk to him, maybe walked up to him and handcuffed. Why even call the police if you don't want them to do stop the threat.

Regardless, a police officer isn't any more entitled to kick someone in the head than you or I. Next time, it could be you or someone in your family. Will it still be OK then?
If their driving down a sidewalk like that i would do it myself or maybe the driver in that car that could have had 5 kids in it.When you deal with that type of person there not like you or i.The area he comes from would handle this in there own way.and it wouldn't be just one kick.Should he have done that NO.He's trained to try to use restraint,but high speed chase,hey we've come along way in the fifties they could have used lethal force(fleeing felon).When i was 16 i knew a kid who was racing another guy and blew a red light, and killed a family of three,I happened to see the after effects of that.The kid had no remorse what so ever.since he was only 15 he got 3 years in cya in California.That's why i said what i did.they would have no remorse because they have no compassion for you or me.

If you were the police officer and an uncooperative idiot was pointing a gun at you, what would you do? Give him a firm talking to? Maybe write him a strongly worded letter saying you were not happy with his actions? Diplomacy doesn't always work. If you've never been in a situation like that, you really can't judge the actions of the police. Do you let him shoot first and then shoot back? No, you take out before he can hurt anyone else.

If you were the police officer and an uncooperative idiot was pointing a gun at you, what would you do?

I can tell you what I would not do. I would not, in concert with two others, fire 24 shots at someone who might only be guilty of assault.

There is a point in time where the police were no longer acting in self-defense and became the agressors. I would expect that came somewhere between the first and second shot that was fired.

Once the threat of serious bodily injury is gone, the use of deadly force is no longer required - or authorized by law. My problem isn't with the fact that the police resorted to deadly force; it was that they continued to use it once the threat was minimized. There is simply no excuse for pointing your gun at a suspect, closing your eyes, and pulling the trigger as fast as you can with no regard for the results. And to shoot that many times and miss your target with nearly 60% of the shots ... there's no way these guys were concerned with what they were doing.

I can tell you what I would not do. I would not, in concert with two others, fire 24 shots at someone who might only be guilty of assault.

There is a point in time where the police were no longer acting in self-defense and became the agressors. I would expect that came somewhere between the first and second shot that was fired.

Once the threat of serious bodily injury is gone, the use of deadly force is no longer required - or authorized by law. My problem isn't with the fact that the police resorted to deadly force; it was that they continued to use it once the threat was minimized. There is simply no excuse for pointing your gun at a suspect, closing your eyes, and pulling the trigger as fast as you can with no regard for the results. And to shoot that many times and miss your target with nearly 60% of the shots ... there's no way these guys were concerned with what they were doing.

Until you have been in a position like that, no one can really say what they would do. I have been in that position, and I'm here to type this.

Several years ago, a freind and I were confronted by three would be muggers. One of them looked me in the eye and told me to give him my wallet. None of the three had a weapon visible. They were standing less than 3 feet in front of me. What would you have done? Should I have just given it to him? Waited to see if he was going to pull out a gun and shoot? I told the POS to go F*** himself and punched him in the throat. He went to the ground and got a kick in the groin as his two accomplices ran off. When faced with a threatening situation, the adrenaline starts pumping in overdrive and a person will react.

I can agree they could have taken him out with fewer shots, but when a perp is pointing a gun at you and he has a hostile attitude, self protection kicks in.

Until you have been in a position like that, no one can really say what they would do. I have been in that position, and I'm here to type this.

And, you're assuming, because I do not have the same opinion as you, that I have not been in that situation. You assume wrong.

However, my original comment dealt with police officers who are supposedly trained to deal with such situations. They are expected to react differently than the so-called average citizen. In many cases, the evidence shows that they react less rationally than an untrained person likely would.

And, you're assuming, because I do not have the same opinion as you, that I have not been in that situation. You assume wrong.

However, my original comment dealt with police officers who are supposedly trained to deal with such situations. They are expected to react differently than the so-called average citizen. In many cases, the evidence shows that they react less rationally than an untrained person likely would.

In reviewing the video tape frame by frame he wasn't kicked in the head he was kicked in the face.that was not necessary because his reaction would be to try to protect his face with his hands.However i don't think he should be fired,anyone can make a mistake.

A) If I have a gun and don't listen when the cops arrive, I expect to get shot. Although not 24 times. Did these three deputies empty their clips into him or what? Did they have to stop and reload to finish him off? Or were they just such terrible shots it took that many bullets to finally hit him and make him surrender? While I expect the use of guns from the responding officers in a case that like, something still smells a bit off.

B) Gang-banging piece of crap or not, once a suspect is subdued, kicking in the face shows a lack of control on the part of the officer. That's not a mistake, that's a malicious attempt to harm the suspect. Screw that cop--he deserves punishment.

There is simply no excuse for pointing your gun at a suspect, closing your eyes, and pulling the trigger as fast as you can with no regard for the results.

The knew exactly the results- to stop the POS- They should be pinned with valor awards- not criticism.

Sadly, I can see that coming. Its a sad state of affairs when the criminals cry that they are the victims and the police are the bad guys.

Mr. Thug Life got just what he deserved.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goldbug

stefdr said:

Sadly, I can see that coming. Its a sad state of affairs when the criminals cry that they are the victims and the police are the bad guys.

Mr. Thug Life got just what he deserved.

:shock:Emphasis mine.

So, I take it, that if you were a cop, the judges and juries would no longer be needed? Seems like that may be the case somewhere, umm ..., let me think...

a police officer isn't any more entitled to kick someone in the head than you or I. Next time, it could be you or someone in your family.
I had exactly that 15 years ago. State troopers chased my vehicle. Once I pulled over in the backwoods area, they yanked me out of the car and stomped on my face until I needed stitches on my chin and a root canal on my front tooth. To cover their butts, they charged me with a double felony- eluding police and resisting arrest. The resisting arrest charge was premised on an affidavit by two officers standing by "watching" who swore I punched the officer, of which I never raised a finger because there a half a dozen firearms pointed at me at all times. I was then issued seven traffic tickets, spent 11 hours in a holding cell, and ultimately released into my parent's custody. Quite a day to remember. As a sidenote, all charges were eventually dismissed and I beat all seven traffic tickets on a technicality. The lawyer cost me $8000. I worked 50hr weeks making pizzas and hoagies that summer to pay the bill.

Even with that experience, police forces are the best we've got to keep this country from complete anarchy. When I read articles about police taking shots at an armed suspect, you have to put yourself in their shoes. Sometimes it is killed or be killed. And you have 0.1 second to make that decision and pray it is the right one.

I've got an idea...

Hows about we let everyone carry a gun. Then there'd be no need for police.

Oh...wait...nevermind...

(My oldest brother was a cop (retired). He was shot at 3 times in his 20 years on the force.

Once by a seventy year old lady "protecting her grandson from being arrested' (She had a shotgun, and the first shot recoiled her back on her ass so his partner was able to subdue her).

Once by a guy he stopped for speeding. The guy jumped out of his car shooting. He was drunk, so all he wound up doing was blowing off 3 of hs own toes, before his clip ran out.

And once by a guy who had just beaten up his wife. When my brother arrived, the guy was on the porch steps with the gun in his hand. He raised it up, and my brother put 4 slugs in him before he fell over. My brother says he was taught if you're going to have to shoot, make sure they don't get a chance to shoot back.

And once by a guy who had just beaten up his wife. When my brother arrived, the guy was on the porch steps with the gun in his hand. He raised it up, and my brother put 4 slugs in him before he fell over.

The important thing, your brother came home each of those nights.

Whats the problem? Someone brandished a gun to the cops, and did not lower it after being ordered to. So they shot him

I don't see what the outrage is about. What should they have done?

:confused:

agreed totally. i hate police brutality and power tripping as much as anyone else, but when they have a gun pointed at them they should be able to defend themselves