Statue of Limitations

Bostongirl

Hello,

I need some advice. I went to Verizon Wireless store over the weekend to add a line to my verizon cell phone account. Mind you that I have been a client for at least the past 6 years and 1.5 ago added line for my daughter. I was told that I had a write off and had to call verizon recovery to find out what the problem was. I called today and was told that I had an outstandign charge of ~ 800.00, going back to 2002. I can not believe that I owe this amount. I told the woman on the line that I DID NOT owe this and that if this was the case why I was not told when I got my daughter's phone a 1.5 ago. What are my options? I thought the stautue was 6 years. Can they deny me service? What do I do? Please help?

BostonGirl

I'm not sure SOL is your problem just yet...

Do you get a bill every month? Has the $800 arrears ever shown up on it? If not, it sounds like they've got you mixed up with someone else. You need to call again and talk to a supervisor. Get a complete accounting of your bills from day one...

Just to add...SOL means they can't win a suit against you if they file and you claim SOL defense. That doesn't mean they can't continue to attempt to collect, and they are well within their rights to deny you service if you do owe them money.

Not intended as a harassment, but I wanted to make sure that it's understood that SOL doesn't mean the debt (real or not) just magics itself out of existence.

Ok, that is very good to know. I will requst copies of the bill and then take it from there. I was under the impresion that SOL meant that if it was after a certain number of years they could not try to collect. I have my cell phone with them so this is going to be fun.