How many years is the UCC in CA for a REPO? 3?

Fairy Enchantress

How many years is the UCC in CA for a REPO? 3?

A friend of a friend had their car repoed about two years ago in CA. And he still resides in CA.

He can't get refinanced on the current car he has because of the repo on his credit reports.

I think he still can get sued for the repo, they are contracting his parents and stuff now.

The SOL in CA. is 4 years.

I don't know what the UCC is though in CA.

My goal is to help him remove it off his reports. So I will keep reading meanwhile.

I have read some stuff NASCAR replied on reguarding this matter. Hopefully your are around Nacar! :-)

I just don't know if I am confusing the UCC with the SOL. Maybe I am.

I am thinking and correct me if I am wrong folks, that the SOL in CA.

is 4 years. But in CA. I am thinking that the REPO is covered by the UCC, & that the UCC is 3 years in CA. (Do not know for sure I have been looking & can't find it anywhere) Anyways I was thinking that the UCC takes the place of the SOL on REPOS.

Am I wrong? I thought I read that somewhere.

I'm going to throw my two cents back in. If california recognizes the UCC, then you would following the UCC SOL for a repo. If they do not, then you could follow the SOL for a written contract in Cali.

Now I'm going to try to find if Cali goes the UCC route and if so how many years. I'll post again later.

The SOL is 4 yrs for the repo.

Some questions you need to ask this person.

1. Did they receive the proper notifications as required? Such as the date and time of auction, the time allowed to redeem.

2. Did they receive the papers showing the deficiency after auction?

3. Were all notifications received as required within their specific timeframe?

Know these items before you take next step. It is said that if any of the required notifications were not sent as required, the claim cannot be collected. Do your homework first. Read our sticky at top of this page on California. You might find some good info there to help you. It is more of the general info, not specifically on repos.

• Like 1