Time Frame for Cable Company To Turn Over to CA

funnyandnice

Is there a legal time frame a company has before they can turn you over to a CA? Here is what happened to us... We canceled charter cable on April 14th, we got a out of whack invoice on the 18th, they said the disconnect order was screwed up and would take till the 23rd for this to become official and then a new bill would be generated.

we never received the bill and today we get a letter from the CA,dated May 1th. and i go online and check the invoice date and it is April 23rd, but no mail, no phone call, nothing.

I did call charter and said i would send in payment but to get us out of the CA and also called the CA to let them know the error on charter and would make payment directly to charter and not report this to the credit bureau and they said it hasnt yet but it still could go there unless we paid them. what a joke.

so is there any legal time limits before one gets turned over and what other things can i do to make sure the CA does not report us. We are sending in payment tomorrow.

thanks

There is no legal requirement for the age of an account to be sent to a CA but less than ten days (April 23 to May 1) is exceedingly short. Somehow I suspect this "CA" is an "in-house" CA set up solely to scare the crap out of ex-customers into paying up pronto.

I would go directly to your local cable office, ask for a manager, explain exactly what happened. Be sure and have your notes available, such as date, times, reps you spoke to, etc. Make it quite clear that this assignment was due to their own negligence and you should not be held liable for the actions of their own employees.

Some years back, I had a problem with Charter. They took over from another cable company just after I cancelled service and assigned to a CA that I never returned the box. It was a mess until I found the person we gave the box to who clarified we did return it. You just have to stay on course with them as too many times it is due to an idiot who thinks they are above you.

Thanks guys, they did actually get a national CA, it is credit protections assoc. Going up there friday to make payment and will ask for a manager. Do I have any action if i send the CA a letter stating my case and Ill be paying charter directly and not to report to the credit bureau and if they go ahead and report, do i have any legal recourse?

thanks

Thanks guys, they did actually get a national CA, it is credit protections assoc. Going up there friday to make payment and will ask for a manager. Do I have any action if i send the CA a letter stating my case and Ill be paying charter directly and not to report to the credit bureau and if they go ahead and report, do i have any legal recourse?

thanks

Before you hand them the money I would get a written agreement not to report to any CRA that applies to both the OC and their CA's. If you don't then you can expect a "Paid Collection Account" to suddenly appear in your CRA file and there won't be a thing you can do about it.

Do not contact the CA yet. Resolve with Charter first. When you speak to the manager, make it clear the whole of the problem was due to their own negligence and it is up to them to fix it, not you. Have your notebook open with pen in hand when speaking. This will show you do take notes and are noting everything said. And, as was already said by another, get it in writing. Demand a letter of apology that clearly states they will recall claim from their assignee. Be sure and state that in some states, the OC can be held liable for the actions of their assignee. This will put them on notice that you will not tolerate any actions from the CA, including reporting negative info.

As to the CA, it is the same one they assigned me to. They are in Texas. They are idiots who do not like to act as required by statute. Keep all written communications handy. IF they do report, no matter how, look on each letter to see if they told you they would. If not, you have a violation. Also, once this is resolved with Charter, allow at least 30 days for them to notify the CA. Then send a dispute as "not mine" to the CRA's. Wait for the 30 day response. If verified, send the CA an ITS for reporting incorrect info. The law is clear in that they can only report true info. By this, with Charter recalling as "assigned in error" clearly states that no collection existed. If this does happen, let us know for the proper steps to take.