JDB With Judgment Sells My Account to Another JDB

I had a court judgment against me brought by the first JDB. So I waited for over a year and nothing happens. Then I found out recently that the first JDB with the judgment sold my debt to another JDB.

Does the court judgment brought by the first JDB still hold or does the second JDB need to refile the case against me?

If you're lucky, JDB #2 doesn't even realize there's a judgment.

If you're unlucky, JDB #2 will get an assignment of the judgment from JDB #1 and properly record that assignment at the courthouse and JDB #2 will step into the shoes of JDB #1 and proceed to use post-judgment remedies to try to shake you down for some money, seize assets, garnish wages and what have you.

Various permutations in between are also possible (JDB #2 knows there's a judgment but can't get good cooperation from JDB #1 in getting the assignment taken care of, or JDB #2 doesn't want to bother paying to do it, etc.).

Was the judgement correct in the first place?

What is the chain of events that led to the judgement? Was it a default judgement?

Also do not assume that JDB's are capable of tying their shoelaces without mommies help (we all know there was never a daddy around :p) let alone conducting a business transaction in a legal and diligent fashion. You might as well wish for the tooth fairy to leave a winning lottery ticket under your pillow as expect that.

• 1 month later...

On another board I recently saw a settlement offer from a JDB that basically said "this settlement offer only applies if we do not already have a judgment ... if we have a judgment, the offer is null and void."

Clearly, this JDB buys "tapes" of defaulted debt that lack pertinent details like whether the cases that have been sent out to lawyers have actually resulted in judgments.

The JDB apparently has concluded that writing dunning letters with offers that make it look foolish produces a better result for it than actually performing due diligence before or after they purchase their tapes. That's their decision to make, but if you ever had any respect for the industry, the last of it probably went out the window on that one...