Collection Advice

Jeremy800

Just received a phone call in the matter of a debt that is owed to the hospital. The collection agency wants me to make payements and will block it from being reported to the CAs. I asked for something in writting and they said that they dont do that. What are my options?

What is being referred is that if this call was the first communication, the CA must, within 5 days, plus time for snail mail, send you a written initial communication advising you of your rights, amount, who, etc. If they don't, you do have them in violation. But, forget about filing suit. Here all they would have to do is show they had policy in effect and be able to slide by.

Before you agree to paying the claim, be sure it is legit, legally owed, and owed by you. If a health insurance was involved, does the amount claimed equal the amount showing on the EOB as to your liability, plus allowed interest? You want all info to be correct before entering into any agreement. If an insurance was involved, and you have no copy of the EOB, call them and ask for one. On the phone, they can bring up the claim and give you the numbers, but, you still want a copy for your records.

As to reporting, you want to make sure it isn't reported. Regarding their claim that they do not send out letters as you requested, that is true, many don't. But, they must send letters that the laws require, such as mentioned above.

What you would do is compose a letter asking for them to validate the claim, as described above. Upon your receipt of this, you will communicate as to your intent, whatever it may be, such as pay in full, or so much a month until paid. Their response to your intent must be in writing and signed by an authorized person, such as an officer of the CA.