Scared of messing it up worse.. Need advice

anewlife

Hi everyone. I have been reading the website for almost a month now and the forums for not quite as long.

I am trying to determine the best way to clean up my DH's CR. His employer is threatening to revoke his clearance which would result in job loss if this is not handled quickly. He does not have recent negatives on his CR, the newest is from 2007. There are 13 items total.

I have created letters (from the site) to send to the CRAs disputing the items. I did 2 letters to each CRA one letter with 6 disputes the other with 7. Is this the right thing to do?

I also was thinking of doing DV on all of the accounts as well since none of them are with the OC any longer. Since it is past the 30 day window is DV even a possibility at this point? I also read somewhere it saying to send the CRA disputes and the DV's at the same time. Should I do that?

I am sorry if I am rambling but I am afraid of making a mistake since this involves not just our credit but my DH's employment. I have to have something showing we are trying to resolve these issues by the middle of June for his employer. We can not at this time afford to pay all these debts in full at the amounts they are requesting. I am hoping some will fall off.

The worse thing was a car repo but I think I have that one handled. The next one I am most stressed over is a default judgment that he got against him. It was for a rental unit he rented. I am thinking since the judgment was granted in 2007 that it is too late to request it be vacated. Does anyone know if that is true?

Any advice, or help would be extremely appreciated. If nothing else please point me in the proper direction of what I should be reading that would answer my specific questions. I seem to be going in circles on the forums.

Thank you so much in advance. :confused:

Welcome to the site. I understand that you're nervous; however, keep in mind that we're all volunteers here. Calm down and don't panic if you don't get a reply after only 3 hours. :)

Your DV/dispute steps sound to be right on track. Yes, you can still DV past the magic 30 day window. The CA/JDB doesn't have to legally respond. But this is one situation where their limited grasp of the law can work to your advantage. Most CA/JDB's treat educated consumers like an electric fence and some of the smaller ones will fold at the mere mention of "FDCPA."

What would be the grounds for getting the judgment vacated? Unless there was something egregiously wrong with service, or some other, obvious problem (like a mixed up identity), you're not going to have much luck. And there generally is a limited period of time to get it vacated. You'll have to check the rules of civil procedure in your jurisdiction.

You might have some limited luck getting the judgment removed from the CR though. First dispute the address associated with the judgment. If/when that is deleted, then dispute the judgment itself.

There isn't a whole lot that you can screw up by DVing or disputing. The worst that could happen is that you just make more work for yourself. The major exception is: let sleeping dogs lie. Don't DV or dispute a TL that the statute of limitations is close to lapsing, or other accounts that might be quick to file suit.

Good luck!

Well I'm new and I am in the beginning of the process. What I did was first sent disputes to the CRAs, I did the same as you, I put 6 at a time on my letters.

I waited for their investigation time to finish, which I believe is 30 days, and they sent me a report of their findings. I got 5 or 6 TLs removed by this alone.

Next I pulled my report again, and I've gone through and done DVs for all the debts on there that are owned by JDBs (which for me is most of them). I'm waiting for the results of that, I just sent those out.

Once that is done, probably in a month or so, I'm going to go and pull my report again and see if anything fell off. Some of the things I know I will have to try to get PFDs and some I may be able to fight. But that's where I am.

Welcome to the site. I understand that you're nervous; however, keep in mind that we're all volunteers here. Calm down and don't panic if you don't get a reply after only 3 hours. :)

Sorry that I paniced, I just saw views and no replies. Again, I apologize. :-(

Your DV/dispute steps sound to be right on track. Yes, you can still DV past the magic 30 day window. The CA/JDB doesn't have to legally respond. But this is one situation where their limited grasp of the law can work to your advantage. Most CA/JDB's treat educated consumers like an electric fence and some of the smaller ones will fold at the mere mention of "FDCPA."

What would be the grounds for getting the judgment vacated? Unless there was something egregiously wrong with service, or some other, obvious problem (like a mixed up identity), you're not going to have much luck. And there generally is a limited period of time to get it vacated. You'll have to check the rules of civil procedure in your jurisdiction.

You might have some limited luck getting the judgment removed from the CR though. First dispute the address associated with the judgment. If/when that is deleted, then dispute the judgment itself.

I was wondering about that. I read in another thread where someone said to delete all old addresses from you CR, I looked into doing this online last night and it looked like it was a dispute type thing. So my question is, do I dispute all addresses except for our current address on the basis they are not our address?

There isn't a whole lot that you can screw up by DVing or disputing. The worst that could happen is that you just make more work for yourself. The major exception is: let sleeping dogs lie. Don't DV or dispute a TL that the statute of limitations is close to lapsing, or other accounts that might be quick to file suit.

Good luck!

Thank you so much for your response. I will send the letters tomorrow to the CRAs

One more question Shortbus - The address associated with the Judgement only appears on one of the CR's. So do I dispute it on the others as not mine? I was thinking of disputing the balance since it varies per report.

TIA!

One more question Shortbus - The address associated with the Judgement only appears on one of the CR's. So do I dispute it on the others as not mine? I was thinking of disputing the balance since it varies per report.

TIA!

Don't bother with the balance. The whole point is to get rid of it, not get it consistent. I also wouldn't bother disputing old addresses unless you have a reason to. Most items on your CR are probably there because your SSN was matched. Public records don't have your SSN attached, so the CRA's figure out which records are yours by doing an address match. Get rid of the address first and it will be harder for them to verify the PR.

Like I said, this may or may not work for you. However, I've had it personally work on TU and EQ (EX is--and will remain--frozen because they did not play ball). It was a tremendous stroke of luck that allowed me to get a mortgage.

Like I said, this may or may not work for you. However, I've had it personally work on TU and EQ (EX is--and will remain--frozen because they did not play ball).

Experian is a PITA. They won't get rid of even incorrect old addresses because of "history". Yep, it's history to have three misspellings of a 15 year old address. I found that TU and EQ fairly easily removed all but my most recent address. So when I disputed things associated with those addresses they fell off easily.

How did you get a mortgage? I've not been able to due to a old repo.

How did you get a mortgage? I've not been able to due to a old repo.

They normally pull all three and average the FICO. With EX frozen, they instead pulled TU and EQ and took the lowest FICO of the two. I don't know whether it's the policy of the mortgage banker I worked with or it's part of the FHA underwriting guidelines.