Would you trust them?!?!

hypersloth

I contacted a company called Diversified Collections that holds 4(or 5) collection accounts on me stating that I owe various sums of money ranging from $22 to $200 for a total under $400.

I asked if I paid in full, would they remove the tradelines on the CR's from the CB's. She said yes. I said, no - not mark paid in full...contact the CB's and have them totally remove the tradelines as if they never existing.

She said yes.

I said in writing? She said no.

I said well then how can I believe this then? She said - you have my word..I have no reason to lie.

This is no a shady operation. It's a small group of people, in a rural town that run collections for hospitals and doctors in a small area. She was very nice on the phone, wasn't a crazy collector like oyu normally run into.

So I'm thinking, maybe pay the NEWEST one and see if it goes bye bye..if not then let the old ones fall off naturally (which some will do this year...others in 2 years)

Suggestions?

Beleive nothing you hear! I would demand to receive it in wirting if not then do not pay. Contact the OC Dr. Office see if you can pay them directly if you pay the OC, and make sure you get a receipt and make sure you tell them to contact the CA and tell them to remove the TL

Need some guidance here.

3 of the 4 are at 7 years in July. My Experian report says they will fall off this July.

I'm worried that by paying ANYTHING at all, that they will spread the payment across several accounts reaging them all?

How does reaging the accounts work? If you pay, the timer starts all over correct? What if you pay in full?

What I was thinking was...let the 3 fall off then pay the one for $22 and at least have that one showing as paid.

Or should I just let sleeping dogs lay?

You are kinda confusing SOL and Reporting Period. SOL is what your state sets as a time to which someone can sue you. Reporting period is how long a TL can be reported, which is 7yrs + 180 days from the date of first delinqency. Re-aging is when the data furnisher changes the DOFD to allow the report time to run longer. As for resetting SOL by partial payment, in 18 states it does not, I don't know if PA is one or not, you will need to look that one up.

As to the PFD issue while I almost ALWAYS say if it ain't in writing it didn't happen, in this case if you have a good feeling about Mom n Pop try one account out and see if they hold to their word. Actually I can't see where a CA would ever put a PFD in writing as that would violate their contract with CRA, or at least that is what I have been lead to believe.

Sorry yea I did have that confused. The SOL in pa is 4 years (at least it was a year ago)

If I paid on ONE account and they spread it across 4 accounts to 'reactivate' them, would that be a violation?

They may only agree to remove them if I pay them all. Which I have no problem doing IF I were to believe they were going to be removed.

I'm not very trusting however but for some reason was happy with the lady after my discussion today. Their office is about 10 mins from my house, and the other collection that was recently placed is literally a 1 min walk from my work. I'm working with the one that was recently placed on my account, I never knew of the bill as I moved a year ago and it was not forwarded. Generally the people 'round here are pretty honest to some degree. The whole lying for $ seems to lead to bad times for most folks and it's a general undertone that it WILL come back to bite you in the butt..like bad karma. It's actually funny how much it is know. Don't know why or what started it...maybe it's the deep catholic roots and the sense of guilt that has been pounded into us for years! lol I still don't trust them enough to make a payment though lol.

they never called either :( I'm hoping it will be resolved. I'm working with the OC who said they will call the CA and see what they can do for me. It's for only $80 too :(

On a brighter note, it looks like my Orchard card I've had for 14 months is going to give me a credit limit increase. It's only at $300 now.

I would think if you put an account no in you letter to them and on the check it would have to apply to that account. If they are going to fall off anyway in July, why not just wait until July, even so if you pay them and they don't deleat it still falls of in July.

Congrats with the CLI.

If I paid on ONE account and they spread it across 4 accounts to 'reactivate' them, would that be a violation? ..............

Yes it is a violation.You have the right under FDCPA to designate which account it is to be applied to. Looking at the amounts owed you could come out ahead if they did that :p