Last Time You Bounced A Check?

I cannot honestly remember the last time I bounced a check and I am so much better off for that.

In fact, I would easily say that it has been hundreds of dollars I have saved per year because of that (bounced check or overdrawn check card). In the past, I bounced a lot of checks but I had viewed it as a quick but expensive loan. Now, I am so grateful of all the money I have saved as well as not spending money that I don't have.

I am more of a cash basis person. I don't in any way distrust banks but years ago I distrusted myself. And that is why I am so much better off being more cash basis and I don't mind using cash for buying a lot of stuff.

When I am better off financially I will return to being a check card sort of person.

People still write checks? 8-)
Every month I must write 20 of them. Actually writing and mailing them helps me keep both personal and rental property income and expenses straight. I think I get some sort of sick pleasure of finality when I seal that envelope up and mail it off. If I start waving to the mail carrier after he picks up my mail, please commit me. :)

I know there are about hundred better ways to pay bills in 2009, but if it ain't broke then don't fix it!!

Regarding bouncing checks, I think the last time I did this was in 2003. I was a credit disaster then too. And my driving record was terrible. And I hopped from job to job. Go figure. You think maybe these behaviors tend to cluster???

It's been a long time since I bounced a check, but an ACH. Well, last week I was away at training and stayed at a hotel. I used my debit card to pay. The hotel didn't release the reserved several hundred dollars more than the bill until this Tuesday. I had an ACH that came through over the weekend. I should have known better. If things like that can screw up for me, they will. The bank paid the ACH, but still charged me the "insufficient funds" fee.

People still write checks? 8-)

I'm hoping the check industry makes one hell of a comeback - I work for a company that makes check processing machines. Y'know the little numbers on the bottom of the checks? My company makes the machines that make those numbers...I repair the circuit boards :-)

To avoid the thread-jack, the last time i bounced a check was about 5 years ago. Last overdraft with the check card - about 5 months ago. I'll be honest.

I'm hoping the check industry makes one hell of a comeback

I wouldn't bet on it. Not according to the #'s from NACHA or Visa, anyway... (not that they're biased or anything, though, lol)

I know there are about hundred better ways to pay bills in 2009, but if it ain't broke then don't fix it!!

You're aware of what happens if your checks get stolen?

link: check forgery

I'll contend it will only take one instance of check fraud and forgery before you decide that you'll never write another check...

It's been a long time since I bounced a check, but an ACH. Well, last week I was away at training and stayed at a hotel. I used my debit card to pay. The hotel didn't release the reserved several hundred dollars more than the bill until this Tuesday. I had an ACH that came through over the weekend. I should have known better. If things like that can screw up for me, they will. The bank paid the ACH, but still charged me the "insufficient funds" fee.

Another reason why credit cards are better than check cards/debit cards: unexpected auth holds that never post to your account only affect your available credit and not your actual bank account. FWIW, this could have resulted in far worse than one fee; it's also possible the bank could have returned your ACH, causing fees with the other company.

It's been years since I bounced a check(4+). I no longer carry checks, in fact hate them. Really hate Payday Lenders. I use BillPay the lesser of the two evils for me (not for everyone)that is, of course identity theft is prevalent in any setting either with a paper check or electronic transfer. Carry cash in your wallet/purse and some Big Goon tries to take it off you. Your only real choice is...well there is no choice except to quit paying your bills or pick your devil and pray. HE HE! As a consumer (anyone who draws air and some that don't) we are at the mercy of whatever system we "choose" to utilize in paying debt, buying that new gadget/wingding or investing the pennies we managed to scrounge together and just praying when it all hits the Fan...I mean..bank that they are not changing the order in which withdrawals and deposits hit for their own personal gain. I know...I'm just another angry consumer. In light of it all apparently there are to be some considerations for change on overdrafts in the next few months according to the Federal Reserve Board. Consumer Reports did a write up on it in January if your interested in the story, I left a link below. March the 30th was the deadline to submit your personal opinion to the FRB on this issue.

http://blogs.consumerreports.org/money/2009/01/overdraft-fees.html

Sorry, no hijack intended. I am still recovering from the flashbacks of years ago when one bank took me for 650 (give or take some change) on a check they kept dishonoring b/c they put a hold on a deposited check and gigged me for $35 each time the check was presented to them plus daily overdraw penalty of $10 each day thereafter on a check under $20. All in all, I just keep my head up and smile when they take my money, it confuses them, probably scares a few but I sleep better at night just brushing it off as best I know how and remembering what comes around goes around.

Another reason why credit cards are better than check cards/debit cards: unexpected auth holds that never post to your account only affect your available credit and not your actual bank account. FWIW, this could have resulted in far worse than one fee; it's also possible the bank could have returned your ACH, causing fees with the other company.

Fortunately this bank is pretty good about not bouncing checks or ACHs when that happens. They do love to stick you with those "insufficient funds" fees or "paid item" fees. I really should have known better and not scheduled the ACH until after I came back from training. It wasn't due until about 4 or 5 days later than my payment date.

Bounced an honest to god writen check? I don't think I've done that in this decade.

I've overdrawn once or twice, usually because I've writen a rare paper check and forgot to note it in Quicken, the check posts and clears but doesn't leave enough to cover any e-bills I've setup to pay.

I use a CC to pay for just about everything (paid in full each month), and then use e-bill pay for the mortgage and my utilities. I don't have to worry about pending charges or reserved amounts at hotels, gas stations, and restaurants. I think the only time I use my debit card is at Costco, since they don't take CC's and I don't carry checks or cash.

• 3 months later...
Every month I must write 20 of them. Actually writing and mailing them helps me keep both personal and rental property income and expenses straight. I think I get some sort of sick pleasure of finality when I seal that envelope up and mail it off.

I know exactly what you mean... It just doesn't feel the same way when a payment is made on the computer...

That is really scary!!! However, from the banks I worked at I know anything and everything can happen... And usually at the worst possible time...