Equifax refusing to remove dad's judgement

Proj1423

I've been working with my father-in-law to get judgements and liens removed that were his father's from a past bankrupcy. We got rid of about 10 of them between all three bureaus but Equifax is refusing to budge with the last two. One of them happens to be a doozy of $25K and it's preventing him from completing a very important personal goal of remortgaging to help his father out with affording a nursing home.

We've been able to get rid of the others by sending letters to the bureaus. He's gone to the courthouse and has confirmed that there are no liens against him but they will not provide documentation of that. They don't even recognize a lien attached to the docket numbers on the credit report. His father and him have lived and done business in one county their whole lives, so we're sure we're at the right courthouse. His father bankrupted on a business a while back and we figure that's what caused all this since they have the same name, minus the "Jr".

The kicker is that he has excellent scores. 718 - 787- 786. This is the only bad thing on his credit right now.

He just called me tonight and that's why I'm posting. He got a letter back from the latest attempt to delete from Equifax. They refuse to delete. He also found out that a Sears card he has had since the 1970's has found negative information on his report and is cancelling his account. This freaked him out and I'm with him.

What can we possibly do to make Equifax see the light and delete this piece of garbage?? Thank you for your help.

From my understanding a judgment can stay on your credit as long as the company keeps up to date on the refiling every so many years with the local court. It is basically like updating the court records to keep the judgment in the statute of limitations. Most of the time if you want a judgment off you should go to the filer and see if you can work a deal or catch them when they have not went to court to refile the judgment. It has been awhile since I read about this correct me if I am wrong.