What exactly must a CA respond with to a DV letter? I sent a dv to west asset management. I pulled my credit report a few weeks ago and saw 2 accounts from them totaling a little over $400. I planned on just doing pay for delete but when I called them they said "Oh No Mr. You dont owe us $400. You owe us $2500, but we will settle for $1500." So i sent the DV letter. I got something back from them for 1 of the debts ($340), but it simply looks like a printed Microsoft word Doc that anyone could have slapped my name onto. It shows the original creditor (local hospital) and a break down of medical charges from 07. Does this response validate or do i need to send another letter? If I do end up owning this legitimatly how do i go about finding if this CA is the correct tards to pay? Thanks

You ask them for verification of that, "how do I know you tards are the tards I should pay"

I would ask a little more nicely though. Ask for whatever information you are wanting, do they have to give it? Depends on what you are wanting and debt coll. Are usually not all that forth comming.

What state are you in? Check your state laws as well.

What exactly must a CA respond with to a DV letter? I sent a dv to west asset management. I pulled my credit report a few weeks ago and saw 2 accounts from them totaling a little over $400. I planned on just doing pay for delete but when I called them they said "Oh No Mr. You dont owe us $400. You owe us $2500, but we will settle for $1500." So i sent the DV letter. I got something back from them for 1 of the debts ($340), but it simply looks like a printed Microsoft word Doc that anyone could have slapped my name onto. It shows the original creditor (local hospital) and a break down of medical charges from 07. Does this response validate or do i need to send another letter? If I do end up owning this legitimatly how do i go about finding if this CA is the correct tards to pay? Thanks

Tell me more about how it desribes those medical charges in print?

And what does it actually say on your credit report?

I would start by calling the hospital. See if you can work with them and get them to call off the goons.

ditaloca:

I asked them for that information in my first letter. Do i request it again just with a shorter time period? I live in Oklahoma. I even put it in my letter telling them to contact me by mail only, Do not call my work home or cell phone. They stopped calling and asking for me and started calling and asking for my wife 2-3 times a day

newryman:

These arent exact but the charges show things like;

11/2007

Vicodin 5/500mg @ $6.60

Ankle xray @ $340

Foot Xray @ $360

Everything totals up to about $1300 then after insurance claims and "contract adjustment" its down to $343.

Credit report shows

Creditor Contact Information:

Phone: (877) 411-7197Address:2703 N HIGHWAY 75, SHERMAN, TX

WEST ASSET MANAGEMENT

Account .....69

___________Monthly Payment________Balance

________________N/A________________$343

High Balance..Date Open..Balance Date...Terms.......Account Owner..Past Due

N/A...........09-2008......11-2008......001 month......Individual........$343

Remarks

No remarks recorded

Edited by Penurious-T

resend it with highlight of "specific information" let them know the information provided does not validate the outstanding debt and let them know that you are requesting an itemize statement with specific dates, time , amount, and how and when this account was establish.

I validated an collection company recently "Afni" and they sent me a we'll get off of your cr lttr and were gone as of yesterday as it was a debt I had no knowledge of. I sent them not one but two dv lttr so they knew i was serious.

Edited by soveu38
c

Call your ag's office and ask them to provide you with the statutes that govern collection agencys somewhere in that will be what they must provide to you to verify a debt. In az its

R20-4-1514. Disclosure of Information to Debtor Within five days after the initial communication with the debtor, a collection agency shall obtain, and be able to inform the debtor of 1. The name of the creditor 2. The time and place of the creation of the debt 3. The merchandise, services, or other value provided in exchange for the deb and 4. The date when the account was turned over to the collection agency by t creditor A collection agency shall give the debtor access to any of the collection agency's records that contain the information listed in subsection (A) At the debtor's request, the collection agency shall give the debtor, free of charge, a copy of any document from its records that contains the information listed in subsection (A)

There may also be a definition of timely manner in which info needs to be provided.

I'm thinking you may have hippa violations

In addition your state should have laws about 3rd party contact in az

R2041512. Contacts with Debtors and Others A. A collection agency shall contact a debtor by telephone only during reasonable hours. A collection agency shall make a reasonable attempt to contact a debtor at the debtor's residence. A collection agency may contact a debtor at the debtor's place of employment if a reasonable attempt to contact the debtor at the debtor's residence has failed. B. A collection agency shall not contact a third party, including a debtor's friend, relative, neighbor, or employer and: 1. Inform the third party of the debt 2. Ask the third party to pressure the debtor into paying the debt, or 3. Ask the third party to pay the debt, unless the third party is legally obligated to pay the debt. C. A collection agency shall not threaten to contact a third party listed in subsection (B) for any purpose listed in subsection (B). D. Despite the other provisions of this Section, a collection agency may make lawful service on third parties, including employers, of a writ of garnishment or other writ in aid of execution after judgment has been entered against a debtor.

If wife isn't a owner or coowner explictly on debt, she's a 3rd party.

Also there are harassment laws.

They are admin laws in az but maybe different in OK!

Ill try to research for you!

ditaloca:

I asked them for that information in my first letter. Do i request it again just with a shorter time period? I live in Oklahoma. I even put it in my letter telling them to contact me by mail only, Do not call my work home or cell phone. They stopped calling and asking for me and started calling and asking for my wife 2-3 times a day

newryman:

11/2007

Vicodin 5/500mg @ $6.60

Ankle xray @ $340

Foot Xray @ $360

Everything totals up to about $1300 then after insurance claims and "contract adjustment" its down to $343.

Credit report shows

Creditor Contact Information:

Phone: (877) 411-7197Address:2703 N HIGHWAY 75, SHERMAN, TX

WEST ASSET MANAGEMENT

Account .....69

___________Monthly Payment________Balance

________________N/A________________$343

High Balance..Date Open..Balance Date...Terms.......Account Owner..Past Due

N/A...........09-2008......11-2008......001 month......Individual........$343

Remarks

No remarks recorded

You may well have them for HIPPA violations for one thing. That opens the can for FDCPA breaches that they can not really wiggle out of. Do NOT contact them further at this stage. There is a process you now need to go through. I will find a link and post it later for you.

11/2007

Vicodin 5/500mg @ $6.60

Ankle xray @ $340

Foot Xray @ $360

did this come from the OC or the CA? if it came from the dr directly its not a hippa violation, if it came from a CA it could be,

drs must have a buisiness associates contract in place with a CA to "share" your PHI,

also, if its from "muliti: drs, they have to show a assign from each dr you have seen that is part of the billing, radiolgist, lab ect..

look at your EOB ( statement from your insurance) who did they pay? look to see if the dr's are " indepedant contractors" if yes you owe the Hospital NOTHING( you would owe the dr's directly)

Edited by cbairey

11/2007

Vicodin 5/500mg @ $6.60

Ankle xray @ $340

Foot Xray @ $360

did this come from the OC or the CA? if it came from the dr directly its not a hippa violation, if it came from a CA it could be,

drs must have a buisiness associates contract in place with a CA to "share" your PHI,

It came from the CA - West Asset Management.

It doesnt show any Dr charges. It shows charges like the ones above and other things like ER Level 1 and Level 2.

It came from the CA - West Asset Management.

It doesnt show any Dr charges. It shows charges like the ones above and other things like ER Level 1 and Level 2.

ask the CA for its Business associates contract with the Dr( or hospital) if they can not produce one, its a HIPPA violation, you can report it to your states HHS dept & civil rights Dept