2ndTimeAround

72 year old woman tasered

That's disgusting on the part of the officer and on all those who think it's funny. Give me a break. He had a hold of her. He should have just put cuffs on her and walked her to his car. There was no excuse for force at all. Cussing him is no excuse for him misbehaving.

I get so sick of people who stomp those unable to help themselves.

Lol. Put yourself in the officer's shoes. I know for many their hatred of law enforcement makes that impossible, but they have one hell of a job. You never know what weapon someone has or what they're capable of regardless of age.

If I were the officer, I would have done the same thing. And I think it is to dangerous to second guess the move's of police officers when dealing with their safety. We and all the attorneys have the luxury of hindsight and the knowledge that maybe she wasn't armed. At the time, the officers objective is to neutralize the situation without injury. He did what he had to do thanks to complete stupidity on the part of our "victim".

HA! HA! Wait a minute, listen to the Sgt.Maj,, 38 sec. into the video. "There's nobody that wanted this to happen any worse than Dep. Chris Biezy!" Hell of a spokesman there!

It's a bad spot to be in, I think it could be handled without the laser though. Cop could have told her signing was not an admission of guilt, just proof that she had been notified of the charges, perhaps?

Was granny wrong? Yes. She refused to sign the ticket which is not an admission of guilt but a promise to appear in court. She bluffed and the officer called her bluff. As he should. She saw the bluff called and agreed to sign the ticket. At that point the officer could let her sign and both be on their respective ways. He did not do that. He tazered he at a distance of five feet. After tazing she is on ground howling in pain. Officer standing is barking orders to put hands behind back or she will be tazed again.

Granny was belligerent. Officer was out of control as far as comman sense.

My 2 cents.....

Officer could have written "refused to sign" on the signature line and handed it to her and went off on his merry way. That would have been one option (especially since his doing so would have been recorded).

That being said.....if you don't violate the law or make poor choices that such things WONT occur. It is because we made the likes of Rodney King a rich man that others have seen fit to be beligerent! The granny caused this.

Time for the US to quit pandering......demanding that criminals be treated better than those paid a pittance to keep us safe! I don't care how old you are...the law is the law....and she was old enough to know better!

Time for the US to quit pandering......demanding that criminals be treated better than those paid a pittance to keep us safe! I don't care how old you are...the law is the law....and she was old enough to know better!
My thoughts exactly. I don't have any grudge against anyone. I only have so much compassion until the well runs dry. And smart*ss granny gets none of it for a self-created problem.

Officer could have written "refused to sign" on the signature line and handed it to her and went off on his merry way. That would have been one option (especially since his doing so would have been recorded).

While I'm neither a lawyer nor a police officer, I've signed the signature line on a traffic citation a time or two. It is my understanding, the law varies from state to state on this issue.

In some states, the vehicle code says if you don't sign the ticket then you go to jail. I recall an episode of "Adam 12" where an old woman refused to sign a ticket and Malloy took her to jail. It's my understanding that is the law in California, then and now.

In other states, you're not required to sign, and the officer might actually even be able to write an additional citation because you failed to sign.

Still in other states, the officer has the discretion to decide whether to arrest one for refusal to sign because the officer has probable cause you are intending not to comply with the order, or the officer can decide to write "Refused To Sign" because the officer believes you're just being a PITA but will comply with the order.

That being said.....if you don't violate the law or make poor choices that such things WONT occur. It is because we made the likes of Rodney King a rich man that others have seen fit to be beligerent! The granny caused this.

I wouldn't say WON'T occur, just less likely to occur. We've all seen videos of frame-ups, beatings, or just plain murders of unarmed, and sometimes, unresisting individuals. Cause and effect? Blowback? All you're going to achieve, in the long run, by heavy handedness is resistance. It starts with passive resistance, escalates to ACTIVE resistance, then who knows.

Respect is not merely given, it's earned and what we're seeing now is the destruction of the respect earned by generations police by a few bad "badge heavy" cops. I'd, personally, like to see a little less "Barney" and more "Andy" in law enforcement.