SoFaithful

Why Realtors Scare Me

SOME realtors, I should say.

Is this a conflict of interest or just business as usual?

Saw a property I am interested in. Called the seller's agent and was shown the house by her. I told her I was interested in the house.

During the showing, she was trying to sell me a home that she (the seller's agent) owned.

Isn' t this a conflict of interest especially if you are the seller? Or perhaps I'm missing something ... ? :confused:

Edited by SoFaithful
correcting typos

Out of curiosity, why are you being shown a house by the Seller's Agent? That in itself, is a huge conflict of interest.

Also, there is nothing wrong with the Seller's Agent informing you that she also has a house for sale :).

No offense, but since the seller's agent is showing you the seller's property, he/she may think there is some naivity here and is going for the hard sale of his/her property.

Unless you signed an express agreement with the agent, she owes you no fiduciary duty. It WOULD be a conflict of interest if she was expressly representing you and selling you her home.

Still, seems shady unless she was upfront and open. I wouldn't deal with her.

I am surprised that you are having a tough time. Buyer agents have it made right now. Supply is high and they need not worry about the costs of listings nor the potential to have a home sit on the market for over a year. A buyer's agent gets their 3% (1.5% to the brokerage) rather quickly when a ready willing and able buyer makes agreement. You seem ready to go. I would think buyer's agents would be all over you.

*Soapbox* The lack of urgency on the part of many is astounding. Two recent examples- First, I needed a plumber on Saturday for an issue at my rental property. I called 14 plumbers! ONLY ONE EVEN BOTHERED TO CALL ME BACK. He got the job. He was at the house for no more than 25 minutes (leaky toilet). $180 + parts. Second, I am looking to install granite countertops in my home. I have called three locations in the past week and explained that I have the cash set aside and I just need someone to come out, measure, and make the templates. DO YOU BELIEVE THAT NOT ONE OF THESE COMPANIES HAS BOTHERED TO CONTACT ME? We're talking a $3,000 job here. Even in this so-called recession, people either don't need the work or are just plain lazy. :?:

Edited by jq26

Out of curiosity, why are you being shown a house by the Seller's Agent? That in itself, is a huge conflict of interest.

I could not in touch with "my" agent. I have not heard anything from her in a week. She had a family emergency.

No offense, but since the seller's agent is showing you the seller's property, he/she may think there is some naivity here and is going for the hard sale of his/her property.

Perhaps.

I am surprised that you are having a tough time. Buyer agents have it made right now ... A buyer's agent gets their 3% (1.5% to the brokerage) rather quickly when a ready willing and able buyer makes agreement. You seem ready to go. I would think buyer's agents would be all over you.

I started calling around today to find another buyer's agent. "Mine" is STILL MIA.

Anyway, told the new agent about the property. We had a long conversation about her style and mine. She quickly emailed me several reports such as tax evaluation, sales information, square footage, building materials, comparable market analysis. She sent me comparable properties she recently sold in the area this property is located in. She asked me to take note of the list price and the actual sell price. I did. So far I'm impressed.

I will call her tomorrow to go over the reports. I'm actually getting excited again.

@JQ26: a $3,000 job? I'll come and do it. Of course it might become a $6,000 job to fix what I break!

Good luck. You two should be "best friends" until you go to closing.

Its good that you moved on and are now excited about the new agent.

A co-worker here that just bought a new house a few months ago said he got rid of about 5 Agents during his search.

My Real Estate Agent was in Indianapolis all last week when the Seller started playing games with us and he was in constant contact with me that entire week.

If I feel that my Real Estate Agent and Loan Officer (a referral from my mother) weren't on my side, I would get rid of them faster than a NY minute because there is a lot of money involved in this process and the BUYER is the one taking on the debt, so you gotta make sure your team is on your side.

I used my break just a while ago to get a final look at a house I think I am going to buy. Me and the Seller have been negotiating for the last 2 days and I was up to 12 AM today haggling over a few thousand dollars.

I have seen about 55-60 houses and I am just ready to get a house and move on. Especially since it is hot as heck now in Texas and seeing 7 houses every few days is not realistic.

I have seen about 55-60 ...

55-60 houses? If you are serious, I'm glad to live in a small area with fewer choices.8-):mrgreen:

... I am just ready to get a house and move on.

I TOTALLY agree. It can be an emotional rollercoaster.:evil: