jq26

Nissan to Mass Produce Cheap Electric Vehicles

At some point, we'll hit a tipping point and there will be a rush on these vehicles. I think we're prety close. All I can say it is about time. The race is on among manufacturers!!

---------------------------------------------------------------

YOKOHAMA, Japan (AP) -- Nissan Motor Co. said Tuesday its electric vehicles will be affordable, setting sights on the potentially lucrative market with a plan to mass produce zero-emission cars globally from 2012.

Japan's No. 3 automaker said it would unveil its first electric vehicle in Japan on August 2 and begin sales next year.

"We are moving forward with zero-emission vehicles," said Chief Executive Carlos Ghosn at a shareholders' meeting.

Nissan will sell electric cars first in Japan and the U.S. after April 2010, and then mass produce them globally in 2012.

Along with production in Japan and Europe, Ghosn said Nissan would make electric vehicles in the United States at its Smyrna plant in Tennessee with initial output capacity of more than 100,000 units per year.

"The U.S. is going to be a very important market" for the company's electric vehicle strategy, he said.

"I can tell you I'm not at all worried about how to sell these cars because there is an appetite for zero-emission cars."

Other carmakers are also racing to produce fully electric cars. U.S.-based Tesla Motors has a prototype that is scheduled to be produced by 2011. Toyota Motor Corp. has said it plans to sell electric vehicles in the U.S. by 2012 while Chinese automaker Dongfeng Motor Corp. has teamed up with a Dutch-based company to develop and make electric cars.

Ghosn gave few details, but stressed that Nissan's zero-emission cars will come "with a very reasonable price."

"If it's not affordable, it's not going to work," Ghosn told reporters.

"We are not going to come with a very high price. We are going to come with a reasonable price," he said. "We are here to mass market them."

Earlier in the month, Nissan's smaller rival, Mitsubishi Motors Corp., launched its electric vehicle, the i-MiEV, with a price tag of 4.59 million yen ($48,300). Even the company acknowledged the i-MiEV is too pricey and said it aims to cut the price in the future.

Ghosn said expensive electric cars are "for a niche" market which Nissan doesn't plan to target....

...Ghosn said the global market for hybrid cars remains too small, with hybrid cars accounting for just 3.5 percent of the Japanese auto market in 2008, and 2.3 percent in the United States.

Globally, the market for hybrid cars is below one percent, Ghosn said, attributing hype over gas-electric cars to heavy media coverage....

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Nissan-to-mass-produce-apf-2708893709.html?x=0&sec=topStories&pos=4&asset=&ccode=

This is exciting!

Does any one remember or know about how gas was originally a by-product from kerosene production . It was thrown away! Then someone figured out it could be used as a source of fuel in itself, it was easier to make and was actually a more efficient fuel than kerosene, it then bypassed kerosene. Crazy huh?

They can make all sorts of fuels, in india they make fuel for electricity in homes from COW DUNG!

I'm excited to see what they come up with next.

I would really rather have a fuel cell hydro car or solar car. Electricity is cool for now though!

They have all sorts of crazy green bio fuels in the making right now. There is a type of bacteria which will feed off of the by products leaked out when plastic degrades, it eats these toxins and then coverts it into "food" and the excreted waste that comes out of this bacteria (essentially bacteria poop) can be used as fuel. Imagine a car that essentially runs off of GARBAGE! Goodbye landfills. MPG will have a whole new meaning... Miles per gallon will be Miles per garbage!

Edited by ditaloca
blog program for phone puts info in wrong areas, it makes me look like i smoke crack.

I've already decided my next car will be fully electric, so I am very excited by this.

I've already decided my next car will be fully electric, so I am very excited by this.
Well, I'm hoping for one. My current car has 238,000 miles on it. If they don't hurry up and bring these things to market, I'm thinking about buying a small hybrid for a few years to bridge the gap.

If I never drove again, I'd be a happy person. It sucks.

What's going to happen when all these electric cars need charging and get plugged into the grid?

What's going to happen when all these electric cars need charging and get plugged into the grid?

The light bulbs in your house will go dim :mrgreen:

The problem with the whole mythology of the electric car of course is that it is much less environmentally friendly than conventional cars. :dunno:

Google is your friend if you don't beleive me.

Come on now google is not my friend at best it is a frienemy or casual acquaintance.

You are so going to make yahoo and ask jealous by spreading these kind of unfounded rumors. This is the exact reason jon and kate won't be plus 8 anymore.

On a seperate note, bing, we are still on for tonight right?

The problem with the whole mythology of the electric car of course is that it is much less environmentally friendly than conventional cars.
I disagree. I used to think that as well. But then I really looked into it. We won't be powering coal fired powerplants forever, and the weight of the vehicle is reduced significantly. Additionally, there is a theoretical maximum efficiency of any gasoline powered engine that is horrendously low (remember college physics?). That's a huge unaccounted for drain of energy. The manufacture of the battery is energy intensive, but that will improve.

Plus, this isn't entirely environmental. It helps reduce foreign dependence on oil based products. This is good for the trade deficit, the US dollar, and security. Not to mention the reduction of noise and "on the spot" pollution. Imagine if cities were filled with tiny electric vehicles (or even better- none at all).

I'm not saying ban anything. Let markets sort it out. It seems we're early in this, but I think the writing is on the wall. The younger people are, the more apt they are to opt towards non-gasoline choices when given a realistic choice. Certainly those in NYC and Philadelphia will likely have different preferences than those in Oklahoma. Choice is good!!!

I'm hoping these things can get down to the $8,000-$12,000 range. That way you buy one with cash, drive it for 10 years, maybe replace a battery or two, and stop spending huge gobs of cash on simple transportation like we do now. There are many people who work their entire life and never experience what it is like not to have a car payment.

Edited by jq26

Actually, recharging your car is not really going to be an issue as far as taking down the grid. This link might be of interest:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V2G

It explains a system where cars not in use actually contribute to the grid from their batteries. In some electric cars, the batteries are recharged from the flywheels on the engines during braking.

It's actually pretty cool. And if you have solar panels...then you have cars driven on sunshine.

A study by EPRI looked at the issue of PHEVs (Plugin Hybrid Electric Vehicles) and the grid. Much of it translates over to EVs (Electric Vehicles).

They concluded millions of PHEVs would not bring down the grid and it would result is cleaner emissions even if all the electricity came from coal.

49% of U.S. electric comes from coal

15% in California

17% in Washington state

California and Washington state have some of the highest concentrations of hybrid vehicles owned so it stands to reason those states will have high rates of PHEV and EV ownership early on.

EVs are 75% efficient. ICEs (Internal Combustion Engines) are only 20% efficient.

Bottomline: EVs will be much, much cleaner than ICEs in the early years, and even as drivers in coal centric states buy EVs the air will still be cleaner.

Uhhh, don't get your hopes up about selling back the electricity from your car to the grid. Years (if ever) away.

Even Toyota recommends not doing it as it will put stresses on the battery they don't want to see.

I wonder if that will void any warranty they have on it? :)

Uhhh, don't get your hopes up about selling back the electricity from your car to the grid. Years (if ever) away.

V2G is still very much in the theoretical stage, but I see big changes coming for our power grid--with or without plugins and EVs. Whatever final form these changes take, the power utilities are studying and experimenting in a number of areas, including V2G.

V2G is still very much in the theoretical stage, but I see big changes coming for our power grid--with or without plugins and EVs. Whatever final form these changes take, the power utilities are studying and experimenting in a number of areas, including V2G.

Yes, experimenting is the key. I work for the top-ranked utility in the country. V2G would likely be a niche for a while, maybe a tiny piece of a puzzle eventually.

We are number 1 in wind and solar production, but it's our nukes that keep the lights on and pays the bills.

Unless some huge technological break-through occurs, like fusion, our next big reduction in emissions and fossil fuel consumption are the next-gen nuke plants that are being started.

Wind and solar are still too expensive now, take up a lot of space (we are building one to offset about 10% of a gas plant, on a good sunny day, and it is 500 acres for about 75 megawatts.) We are building the nation's largest photo-voltaic plant at 90 acres for 25 megawatts. Believe it or not, a lot of folks don't want a solar plant or wind turbine in their backyard, so to put them in the middle of nowhere means miles of new transmission lines and no one wants those either!!

But, every little bit helps. A few million electric cars/hybrids on the road would be pretty cool!!!

+1