jenhea

Summons served to my 15 year old

I got a phone call from my 15 year old todat saying that some guy came to the door and asked how old she was and then handed her a summons for debt to a collection company.

I live in Washington state. This debt is a result of 2 medical surgeries that I had in 2007. The total cost of the surgeries was over $60,000 and all except $3500 was paid by my insurance. I never received any billings from the hospital, and the first time I came aware of the debt was when the collection company called me demanding payment in full or 3 monthly payments of $1100 each. Because I do not have that amoutn of money, i did not do anything (wrong, I know). So, know I have this summons (that was served to my 15 yr old), and I am not sure what to do.

1. Can they serve a summons to a minor?

2. My ex husband is also listed on the summons. We were not marreid during the time of the debt.

3. Had I known that there was a balance after the insurance company paid I would have tried to negotiate with the Hospital (they received 94% of the payment form the insurance company). Is it too late to go back and work something out with the Hospital?

4. If this proceeds and they garnish my wages, I will not be able to pay any of my bills, and may have to file bankruptcy. How can I prevent this from happening.

Thank you!

Yes they can serve the papers to a 15 year old if the intent is that it go to a parent living at that location.

Your ex-husband may be on the paperwork because of ties to insurance. If he was the primary on the insurance he would be included.

It is probably too late to deal with the hospital. If this is two years old they probably sold the debt to this junk-debt-buyer. But it cannot hurt to try calling the hospital to find out.

I suggest you speak with an attorney. The fact that you never got any sort of bill for the difference from the hospital may actually make the claim unenforceable. But a lawyer will have to judge that. Be aware that failure to answer the summons and appear in court would render a default against you and they will be granted whatever amount they requested in the suit, including costs and attorney fees, which can increase the debt substantially. JDBs rarely have sufficient documentation to prove medical bills as it would be a HIPPA violation for the hospital to disclose things such as what procedures were done on you. That may be a defense.

I suspect they are filing suit because they had a billing goof, know you were never properly billed, and are trying to "convert" this acocunt stated into a judgment they can enforce for the next 10-20 years even if you cannot pay it today. Don't let that happen.

I got a phone call from my 15 year old todat saying that some guy came to the door and asked how old she was and then handed her a summons for debt to a collection company.

I live in Washington state. This debt is a result of 2 medical surgeries that I had in 2007. The total cost of the surgeries was over $60,000 and all except $3500 was paid by my insurance. I never received any billings from the hospital, and the first time I came aware of the debt was when the collection company called me demanding payment in full or 3 monthly payments of $1100 each. Because I do not have that amoutn of money, i did not do anything (wrong, I know). So, know I have this summons (that was served to my 15 yr old), and I am not sure what to do.

1. Can they serve a summons to a minor?

2. My ex husband is also listed on the summons. We were not marreid during the time of the debt.

3. Had I known that there was a balance after the insurance company paid I would have tried to negotiate with the Hospital (they received 94% of the payment form the insurance company). Is it too late to go back and work something out with the Hospital?

4. If this proceeds and they garnish my wages, I will not be able to pay any of my bills, and may have to file bankruptcy. How can I prevent this from happening.

Thank you!

I am also in Wa, who's the CA? and Hospital? what city are you in? ( county?) can you get all your EOBS ( explaination of benifits) from the insurance company? do you remeber all the dr's names?,( your EOBS should show who was paid)

heres some help if the hosptial is billing you for any dr's you can ask for ASSIGNMENT/ Contract proof from Dr(s) to Hospital ( contracts),How do you know the Hosptial can charge you for the dr's services? then another from Hospital to CA( along with the HIPPA Biz associtates contract)

detailed billings / make them show each and every charge/ then did you GET each service?

I will do what i can to help you along..