Credit hopelessly trashed by ex husband's new girlfriend

Been_Ponzied

I need decent credit to get low income housing (I'm permanently disabled on SSDI/SSI) and I have such a terrible credit problem after my quickie Nevada divorce that I have contemplated suicide.

I am living in a bad roommate situation and I plan to try to get into some Tax Credit low income retirement apartments when I turn 55 this fall.

This is what happened. After six years of marriage, my husband found someone younger than I who has a red harley and is a real user (ex felon on probation for hard drugs). He "set me up" in an apartment and promised, swore, that he is a "Marine" and he will pay my bills for a couple of years until I get on my feet (he willingly did much more for his previous two wives). He said he "learned on me" not to get scammed like his wives did. Just great!

Well, he went back on promises to pay my bills. I was naive and trusted/loved him and just wanted to see him happy, so I gave him a quick uncontested divorce in Nevada, even though we now live in California.

Everything went to charge off. Everything. His new girlfriend wouldn't let him fulfill his solemn promise to me. I just got all three of my credit reports and my score is barely 500 average. There are charge offs on my satelite TV, among department stores and everything. In fact, he had to trash his own credit in order to default on so many debts. His girlfriend wouldn't allow him to talk to me, so I didn't know this was happening.

I am planning on preparing a package for the landlord company of several references from my friends, and a sworn and notarized "explanation" of what happened to my credit file.

Should I see a lawyer just to get an explanation letter from him too?

I cannot:

take him to court - it was all verbal and I trusted his solemn "Marine" word.

re-do our divorce. It showed no property, assets, or debts - you don't have to list them if "agreed upon."

Any ideas? I am in dire trouble. Thanks. I helped my husband all through our marriage from this board, with his credit, and now he does this to me.

Hi Been-Ponzied,

I hope you are feeling better. Please, please do not commit suicide over your credit problems or anything else. Things will get better and this will pass.

I have never been divorced, or married, so I don't have much advice other than, maybe you should contact a divorce lawyer, through free Legal Aid. Perhaps his Verbal Agreement with you could possibly be enforced. As for your credit cards, etc.. were they in your name, or were you an authorized user? If you were only an authorized user, I believe I read that some people were able to have items removed from their credit report based on this because as an authorized user they are not responsible to pay for the cards.

If the cards are in your name and you cannot pay them due to SSI then don't worry about it, if there is nothing you can do. You may want to consult a bankrupty lawyer also. I'm sure that with bad credit you can still find a place to stay, as several people over 50, and under, that I know had bad credit and bankrupties but were still able to rent a nice apartment. The landlords just wanted to make sure they had steady income, but the deposit was higher. Also, there are Low-Income Housing Programs for individuals such as your self on SSI, regardless of their credit.

I hope this helps, and that someone else here on this board can offer you more information on this.

May God bless you,

honeycomb

Edited by honeycomb

Thank you, Honeycomb. You gave me a few ideas. I think I was authorized user on some of the cards he defaulted on. But I may have been joint user. I will have to contact them and see, or try disputing them with a copy of my divorce file.

I don't think you or anyone believes me about just how dire this is. I don't know what state you are in, but in California or Nevada there are no low income programs or apartments for people with bad credit! There are only vouchers, which go through the city housing authority and you have to have good credit for those, and they are many years wait. Then there is HUD subsidized, and you have to have good credit for that.

I dont' have to declare bankruptcy because no one can sue me. I'm on SSI and no one can attach that, and I don't have assets. So, no reason to have a bankruptcy on my record unless it does help my bad credit situation.

Last but not least, there is no free financial aid for people in my situation. Sorry, it just aint true. I could talk to a bankruptcy lawyer for free maybe, but he won't do a free bankruptcy.

We are talking my housing here. Rental housing. Basically, I have no future. I need to get out of this horrible roommate situation and can't find anything. I do need help, but I'm not sure what kind.

So, no reason to have a bankruptcy on my record unless it does help my bad credit situation.

Actually, in many cases bankruptcy looks better on a credit report than a bunch of chargeoffs and collections. Bankruptcy after divorce is so common, I doubt housing assistance programs would think twice about it.

Why not call HUD and your city housing authority and ask them your best course of action given the divorce and joint debt situation? You are certainly far from the first person to find themselves here so you are not alone. I am so sorry you were treated that way. Best wishes to you

Edited by ALVA

If you live in an urban area, try dialing 211, it's a number usually run by the United Way that can let you know what services and charities you may qualify for based on your financial situation. If there is any type of low cost senior housing, they'd know about it. Even if there isn't any in your area, they may be able to get your other kinds of assitance. If you can get help with your food, utilities, and other basics of life, it can help your SSD payments go farther. More money will ultimately give you more choices. They also may have referals to low or no cost counseling. You sound very depresed about your situation, and I really encourage you to talk to someone. Please don't do anything to harm yourself over this.

Actually, in many cases bankruptcy looks better on a credit report than a bunch of chargeoffs and collections. Bankruptcy after divorce is so common, I doubt housing assistance programs would think twice about it.

Why not call HUD and your city housing authority and ask them your best course of action given the divorce and joint debt situation? You are certainly far from the first person to find themselves here so you are not alone. I am so sorry you were treated that way. Best wishes to you

Great idea, thanks!!!

If you live in an urban area, try dialing 211, it's a number usually run by the United Way that can let you know what services and charities you may qualify for based on your financial situation. If there is any type of low cost senior housing, they'd know about it. Even if there isn't any in your area, they may be able to get your other kinds of assitance. If you can get help with your food, utilities, and other basics of life, it can help your SSD payments go farther. More money will ultimately give you more choices. They also may have referals to low or no cost counseling. You sound very depresed about your situation, and I really encourage you to talk to someone. Please don't do anything to harm yourself over this.

I did try 211 today and got a recording. There is no 211 in my area.

I already get medical treatment for depression. This housing problem has been going on for me for two years since my divorce, so it's hardly a crisis. California just got rid of Medicaid counseling, so I can't get counseling. Thanks though. The people here on this forum are always great.