Emergency Only Card

Greetings,

It's been a long time since I have had a credit card, so bear with me ...

I would like to apply for a credit card, however, this card would need to be used for EMERGENCIES ONLY. Can anyone suggest a card that will not require that I use the card on a regular basis.

Perhaps this is unrealistic, but per my first statement, it's been a LONG time since I had a credit card.

FYI: my credit is good.

Thanks in advance.

Its really hard to say in this credit market. I've seen posts where people have had their cards closed when they didn't use them in a year. On the other hand I've seen posts where people have had cards for years and are still open.

Your best bet is use the card at least once every 3 months...even if its just to buy a pack of gum.

Best to join a credit union. They'd love to have you. If you don't use your card for years, they probably won't mind either. Stick a few bucks in a shares account and get yourself a nice high limit card with no annual fee.

I hold a relatively high limit 1% cash back no annual fee card from Patelco. They've been great. But any credit union will do.

Another alternative is to actually use the card for regular purchases you make anyway (gas, groceries, online shoping). Or, if you feel you'll be too tempted to overspend by having it handy, you can set it up to pay one or two of your usual monthly bills (cell phone, electric, etc.) and still keep it frozen in a block of ice at the back of your freezer. This keeps the card active without having to keep it in your wallet where it can softly call out your name while you're at the mall.

What...your CC's don't talk to you?

Another alternative is to actually use the card for regular purchases you make anyway (gas, groceries, online shoping). Or, if you feel you'll be too tempted to overspend by having it handy, you can set it up to pay one or two of your usual monthly bills (cell phone, electric, etc.) and still keep it frozen in a block of ice at the back of your freezer. This keeps the card active without having to keep it in your wallet where it can softly call out your name while you're at the mall.

What...your CC's don't talk to you?

Lol! Yea, I only use one now for all my expenses, so if you have to freeze it or hide it from yourself, DO IT! Lol! I just set up auto payments on my cards before I decided to just use 1, and I cut them up so I wouldn't use them. Everyone has their own methods...

• 1 month later...
I would like to apply for a credit card, however, this card would need to be used for EMERGENCIES ONLY. Can anyone suggest a card that will not require that I use the card on a regular basis.

Perhaps this is unrealistic, but per my first statement, it's been a LONG time since I had a credit card.

FYI: my credit is good.

That is the best approach to have and you ought to be commended for that. Credit cards ought to serve two purposes; convenience and for emergencies.

The convenience is based on you paying it off every month instead of using it as an alternate form of income (which got a lot of people, including myself, into trouble).

However, you do have to use your card from time to time to prevent it from being closed down on you, which a lot of financial institutions have done because of the crummy economy. After all, a credit score (and how a finanicial institution analyzed you on the use of their credit products) is based on the continual input of data.