sassyfrass

Looking for a telephone recording device

I've heard that it's wise to record any conversations with debt collectors who call on the phone. With that in mind, I'd like to find a decent phone recorder that has the ability to time and date stamp each call separately. I'd truly appreciate any recommendations.

Thank you.

There are a few websites out there that are good for this. You dial into a special number, which then forwards your call to the person you want to speak with. Once the call is finished, you are emailed an MP3 containing the conversation. I can't recall any of the website names, but I remember them being fairly cheap. Google around.

Having said that--you probably shouldn't be talking to CA's on the phone at all. Call recording can get legally problematic. Mailed letters not so much.

Radio Shack has stuff - unless ur dead broke. If that's the case - then do something like the earlier poster said - gabcast.com or one of the other free ones - only trick - you have to 3 way the gabcast.com or talkshoe.com and you could maybe screw it up.

Also be aware that most states are two party states, meaning that both parties need to be aware that the call is being taped. If you live in a two party state, you MUST inform the person you are speaking to that the call is being recorded. If you are lucky enough to live in a one party state, then you don't have to.

Also be aware that most states are two party states, meaning that both parties need to be aware that the call is being taped. If you live in a two party state, you MUST inform the person you are speaking to that the call is being recorded. If you are lucky enough to live in a one party state, then you don't have to.

If you call into a JDB/CA, you're almost certain to get the "this call may be recorded" message before you speak to a human being. Courts have rulled that this also permits the calling party (you) to make his/her own recording without further notification. Still... I prefer the written word when dealing with these people.

If you call into a JDB/CA, you're almost certain to get the "this call may be recorded" message before you speak to a human being. Courts have rulled that this also permits the calling party (you) to make his/her own recording without further notification. Still... I prefer the written word when dealing with these people.

Could you please let me know where you saw the ruling in regards to recording notification? In my state, being a two party state, you must let them know you are recording the call. When talking to some, they indicate that they cannot talk to me if the call is recorded. I tell them they did not give me the option of not having my call recorded! :evil: Even though they say this, I insist on talking to a supervisor who usually does not care about the call being recorded. :dunno:

Sorry, 10 minutes worth of Googling has failed me. However, I distinctly remember at least one relevant case. A man had recorded such a conversation and the recorded company sued him. The judge ruled that the company had given their implicit consent by their use of that automated announcement.

if the other party is outside of your state, then Federal law applies.....federal law is 1 party :)

joe

When in doubt just tell them you are recording; then there can be no question.

I suspect they probably won't continue the conversation but that's no great loss...if they are unwilling to be recorded it's highly likely that the conversation would only be to your detriment anyway.

Sassy. record away if you want to. Do not worry about the whole 2 party and federal state nonsense. The reality is it has never to my knowledge been successfully raised as a defence in a civil debt case by a party with unclean hands despite the Internet myths.

A perfectly adequate alternative is to make full written notes at the time of or as soon after the call as is reasonably possible and enter them into evidence as contemporaneous notes. They are almost impossible to challenge as the other side will not have contemporaneous notes or they will have to rely on their taped conversation which if you art 100% truthful will confirm your version of events.

People place way too much reliance upon TV shows which are not reality, the rules of evidence ARE reality.

Sassy. record away if you want to. Do not worry about the whole 2 party and federal state nonsense. The reality is it has never to my knowledge been successfully raised as a defence in a civil debt case by a party with unclean hands despite the Internet myths.

A perfectly adequate alternative is to make full written notes at the time of or as soon after the call as is reasonably possible and enter them into evidence as contemporaneous notes. They are almost impossible to challenge as the other side will not have contemporaneous notes or they will have to rely on their taped conversation which if you art 100% truthful will confirm your version of events.

People place way too much reliance upon TV shows which are not reality, the rules of evidence ARE reality.

I second this. Eons ago I took a business law class, my instructor (who was a lawyer himself) said that good writen notes made at the time of conversation is just as good as a recording, at least in IL where I took the class. I remember that because I was so surprised by it, that writen notes could be considered just as good as an actual recording!

And you can probably un-nerve them a bit while doing that. "And what's your name?...and how do you spell that. And your superivosor's name...and that's spelled how? Oh, I'm just taking notes for my own records. And who do you work for...and how is that spelled? And your address?....yes I need you to spell that too. Now, what where you calling about again?"

Edited by debtfreein18