Merrick Bank completed 'investigation' - what nex?

NightOwl1969

Sent an investigation letter to Merrick Bank for an old CC account: DOLA - sometime in 2002. Is scheduled to come off in November 2009 anyway, but thought I'd give it a shot.

I sent the standard "Please investigate this account and provide me with documenation as to the validity of this negative mark on my credit" blah blah blah.

Today received: "Your request has been researched and we have determined that the information in question is being reported correctly. Thus the information will continue to be reported and will not be changed." No documentation other than the letter.

Anyone have any suggestions how to proceed? Even though this is falling off in Nov, I'm using some of these really old accounts as 'practice runs' for some other accounts.

Yes. It came back verified on Experian (of couse) and Equifax, but was taken off Transunion. After I received the 'verification' from the other two, I sent in the investigation letter to Merrick.

The thing is, I don't know if this is really my account, or one of the myriad credit cards that my wife opened in my name while we were married. So I would at least like a copy of the contract to see if it's even really my signature on it. But my understanding is that OC's are let off pretty easy when it comes to actual verification of a negative tradeline.

We were divorced in '02 and I guess she couldn't pay all this stuff, so it ended up on my credit. Now, seven years later, when most of my bad credit will be falling off in the next year anyway, I finally found this site and realized I had some rights. To think how many a**hole collection agents I dealt with at that time, and all the probably HUNDREDS of violations they committed makes me sick.

Join the club....the same thing happened to me in my divorce two years ago.

I wonder, since you aren't sure if she signed your name or not, why not approach it from a possibly identity theft angle? Since you are just experimenting, I'm thinking write them again and this time make it short and sweet and tell them you suspect identity fraud. Ask them again to cough up a contract.

But on the other hand, if they are going to fall off in a few months anyway, why stir the waters?

Good for you for surviving 7 years of that. You are smarter and therefore stronger now.