Devt Validation on old debts

Drake Savory

I just had a CA tell me that since they sent a letter to me over 30 days ago, I had lost the right to request validation. Is that true? I thought you could ask for validation at any time if for no other reason than they cannot validate the debt to the CRBs without validating it to you IF you requested a DV.

If true, how do you deal with debts in collections more than 30 days?

First letter? No.

Any letter? Perhaps.

Does it make a different if I'm asking to validate the debt versus a dispute letter?

A dispute is done not with the CA, but with the CRA. Please read the articles above the forum; for instance, when you dispute with the CRA, it says to do this:

>>It's a good idea to keep disputing negative listings with the credit bureaus. If you hit on the right dispute, the listing could get completely removed from your report. For instance, if you dispute the date the account was opened, and the credit bureaus can not verify this information they may pull the whole listing. You will need to change the reason for the investigation so the credit bureau will have something new to investigate. The order of the reasons should be:

1. Not mine (not my account)

2. I didn't pay late that month

3. Wrong amount

4. Wrong account number

5. Wrong original creditor

6. Wrong Charge-off Date

7. Wrong Date of Last Activity

8. Wrong Balance

9. Wrong Credit limit

10. Wrong Status (there are about 20)

11. Wrong High Credit (the highest amount you used)

For example, the first time you challenge a listing, you might say the account is "not mine." The second time through, you would say "never late." <<

I did the dispute with all 3 CRB. What the CA is telling me now is since I did not request debt validation within the first 30 days after the first letter they sent, that they do not have to respond to my DV request. Is that true or do they have to respond to my DV request no matter when I ask for it?

And if that is true, do they still need to respond to my DV request if they validate it with the CRBs even if the 30 days has expired?

I did the dispute with all 3 CRB. What the CA is telling me now is since I did not request debt validation within the first 30 days after the first letter they sent, that they do not have to respond to my DV request. Is that true or do they have to respond to my DV request no matter when I ask for it?

And if that is true, do they still need to respond to my DV request if they validate it with the CRBs even if the 30 days has expired?

Good question, but I think you are outaluck, because of:

FDCPA Section 809. Validation of debts [15 USC 1692g]

(B) If the consumer notifies the debt collector in writing within the thirty-day period described in subsection (a) that the debt, or any portion thereof, is disputed, or that the consumer requests the name and address of the original creditor, the debt collector shall cease collection of the debt, or any disputed portion thereof, until the debt collector obtains verification of the debt or any copy of a judgment, or the name and address of the original creditor, and a copy of such verification or judgment, or name and address of the original creditor, is mailed to the consumer by the debt collector.

P.S. There is a Debt Validation forum here, but I couldn't find your question in it. However, I didn't dig real deep. Good luck.

Edited by Been_Ponzied