jq26

Chevy Volt

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=a1CnFu6pgHFg

Looking at potentially a 230mpg city driving rating. The only issue I see is an ever increasing sticker price. It is now up to $40,000. That's quite a nut. At that price, it is competing against the C class Mercedes, a fully loaded Infiniti sedan, and a BMW 3 series. Tough sell at that price...

That was a great article. I couldn't even believe my eye when I saw 230 Miles Per Gallon! Expensive though. I guess like all the cars after they have been out a while the prices go down.

Maybe it is wishful thinking on my end. LOL

Here's my take on it.

If they can make a 230mpg vehicle now and jump from 60mpg average, how long has this idea been burried...and everything in between? It's not like they couldn't have done the same thing with vehicles produced 5 years ago. All they did was make the vehicle completely electric with a small gas powered generator to keep it charged past the first 40 miles.

btw. The specs indicate you get 230mpg only if you are driving about 50 miles a day and under 55mph. This is not a vehicle for long highway drives.

The Volt seats 4, and the every pic I've seen of the interior shows there's no center rear seat and no seat belts. Just 4 people.

It's about the size of a Chevy Cobalt sedan, so it is a small car. The Nissan Leaf--which I like MommaK definitely prefer--is a 5 seater, but it too is a small car.

Because the Volt is a series hybrid, not a parallel hybrid, it truly is unique. There are no series hybrid cars on the road anywhere. A few series hybrid buses in NYC and perhaps some large truck or bus conversions, but no light passenger vehicles.

The internal combustion engine, or ICE, isn't directly connected to the drive wheels. The drive is all electric. The ICE simply turns a generator to make electricity to propel the car along. GM has tested Volt Mules, which would have been much heavier and clunkier than a finished production car, at over 60 MPH.

Range is upwards of 300 miles with a full tank and a full battery, although if you get out on the highway you'll be in generator mode most of the way. However, EPA had planned to smack a 48 MPG sticker on it because that is what the Volt was averaging in generator mode.

A small car that can do 48 MPG on the highway, and well over 100 MPG in the city, is nothing to ignore.

The 230 figure is actually an MPGe, or Miles Per Gallon Equivalent. GM is using a draft of the EPA standards so it's not official yet. I have a problem with MPGe figures, but Congress mandates that EPA rate everything in MPG.

Argonne came up with a figure of 157 MPG for a 12 kWh series hybrid, which is the Volt.

http://www.debt-consolidation-credit-repair-service.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1017730&postcount=3

The Volt also comes with a $7,500 federal tax credit.