Been_Ponzied

How do you order free CRs based on being a welfare recipient?

Order them online.

I just tried. Both Equifax and TU want money. There is no option for a free report when you are on benefits! I had a URL for Experian from BofA Privacy Assist which let me in for free, but none of them give you the option of a free report. Guess I'll try by mail.

How do I order free credit reports based on being a welfare recipient? It seems like you can't call the CBs unless you already have a report from them. Should I write to them and send ID?

To my knowledge, there is no provision to order credit reports or allowing preferential access based on anyone's socioeconomic status in the current statutes. In fact, I find it quite ironic that we'd be delineating classes on this forum, as if there is special treatment for "those" that have "fallen on hard times."

People of all walks of life come to this forum to find solutions to their problems, and quite frankly, I find it offensive that anyone would expect special treatment based on the fact that they receive benefits.

To my knowledge, there is no provision to order credit reports or allowing preferential access based on anyone's socioeconomic status in the current statutes. In fact, I find it quite ironic that we'd be delineating classes on this forum, as if there is special treatment for "those" that have "fallen on hard times."

People of all walks of life come to this forum to find solutions to their problems, and quite frankly, I find it offensive that anyone would expect special treatment based on the fact that they receive benefits.

Your knowledge is incomplete in that case. Your right to be offended is noted but irrelevant unless you want to petition for a change in the law :roll:

FCRA: You are also entitled to a free consumer credit report under the Fair Consumer Credit Reporting Act (FCRA) if any of the following apply:

A consumer credit report was used as the basis for turning you down for a loan, insurance policy, or job, and you request a free consumer credit report within 60 days of being notified of the denial by the creditor, insurance company or potential employer or other source that turned you down. The source that turned you down must tell you why you were denied. You should include that information in your request to the consumer credit reporting agency when you ask for a free report.

You are unemployed and will apply for unemployment within 60 days from the date you certify your unemployment with the consumer credit reporting agency from which you seek the report;

You receive public assistance; or

If you believe your file contains inaccurate information because of fraudulent activity, you can file a fraud alert.

The OP may find the following link helpul.

http://www.consumersunion.org/creditmatters/creditmattersfactsheets/001623.html

Edited by newryman
Your knowledge is incomplete in that case. Your right to be offended is noted but irrelevant unless you want to petition for a change in the law :roll:

FCRA: You are also entitled to a free consumer credit report under the Fair Consumer Credit Reporting Act (FCRA) if any of the following apply:

You are unemployed and will apply for unemployment within 60 days from the date you certify your unemployment with the consumer credit reporting agency from which you seek the report;

You receive public assistance; or

Thanks, you found the exact law, too! The unemployed part is really good to know, as well. I know many unemployed people. I'm not on county welfare; I worked all my life and became disabled on Social Security. I believe my SSI/Medicaid card qualifies me as on public assistance. Of course there are other ways of falling on hard times!

P.S. I already knew I could get a free report from AnnualCreditReport.com, but I believe you get it slower that way and/or they have more time to investigate than usual; am I right?

Edited by Been_Ponzied
P.S. I already knew I could get a free report from AnnualCreditReport.com, but I believe you get it slower that way and/or they have more time to investigate than usual; am I right?
Mine free reports came in the snail mail within a week. Or you can opt to get them online instantly (not recommended). They then have 45 days to investigate if you dispute instead of usual 30.

I should say, that I'm not sure what was going on in my mind here!

Neryman - I knew that, although it wasn't obvious. I don't even remember writing that, which is scary. We'll just go with a "Drunk man's words are a sober man's thoughts." Sorry.