Cops won't file a report

Been_Ponzied

My ex husband's girlfriend called my car insurance company and cancelled my car insurance! The only security questions they asked her was my name, address, phone number, and email address. A refund was made in my Ex's name and my name to him, for $80. I have a new insurance company now, but my premium is higher because I had a "lapse" in insurance!

The cops won't write a report because they say the penal code says that Identity Theft is only when an account is opened in someone else's name, not when an account is messed with! If so, don't you think the penal code needs to be re-interpreted or something? Laws changed?

Edited by Been_Ponzied

My ex husband's girlfriend called my car insurance company and cancelled my car insurance! The only security questions they asked her was my name, address, phone number, and email address. A refund was made in my Ex's name and my name to him, for $80. I have a new insurance company now, but my premium is higher because I had a "lapse" in insurance!

The cops won't write a report because they say the penal code says that Identity Theft is only when an account is opened in someone else's name, not when an account is messed with! If so, don't you think the penal code needs to be re-interpreted or something? Laws changed?

It may not be ID theft but that doesn't necessarily mean a crime wasn't committed nor does it mean that you can't sue for damages.

If you feel that strongly about it why not talk to a criminal attorney and see if, in their opinion, a crime was committed...if there was then you can petition the DA to act (may or may not get her indited but if you do nothing then nothing will happen).

There may also be redress through civil court...if this woman's actions have caused you provable damages then you have a basis for a suit.

It may not be ID theft but that doesn't necessarily mean a crime wasn't committed nor does it mean that you can't sue for damages.

If you feel that strongly about it why not talk to a criminal attorney and see if, in their opinion, a crime was committed...if there was then you can petition the DA to act (may or may not get her indited but if you do nothing then nothing will happen).

There may also be redress through civil court...if this woman's actions have caused you provable damages then you have a basis for a suit.

I am thinking of suing in small claims court, because my damages are small. The $80 refund plus my higher premium due to "lapse." I don't have the money for an attorney to get involved, with this small of a thing. However, that's interesting that you can petition the DA to act! Are you talking about a legal petition? Or would a letter maybe do the job? I hate to think that just anyone could legally cancel my car insurance for revenge sakes.

I am thinking of suing in small claims court, because my damages are small. The $80 refund plus my higher premium due to "lapse." I don't have the money for an attorney to get involved, with this small of a thing. However, that's interesting that you can petition the DA to act! Are you talking about a legal petition? Or would a letter maybe do the job? I hate to think that just anyone could legally cancel my car insurance for revenge sakes.

I'm talking about making an appointment and sitting down across the desk from the DA.

• 1 month later...

Unfortunately many DA's will be no more useful than the police were just so you know. Getting a lapse in your insurance really isn't so small a matter as because of this bottom feeders actions you have the pay the physical price. Verify she cancelled the insurance and make the insurance co explain why they did this without talking to you or your ex spouse. My scumbag estranged bro-in-law tried the same thing with my sis and her insurance co said no way would they do that. Sounds like you have some morons for an insurance provider, at least agent or whoever. Good luck.

should talk back to insurance company, in most states insurance cannot be canceled without being in writing. you need to dispute with prior insurance company.

As technically there the ones at fault for canceling you without it being youl.

Your enemy doing this is goign to be hard to prove.

Amazing i'm new here and actually have answer on this.

Technically in fact in most states you can sue that insurance company for canceling you.

See you have no case against the person that did this. infact your insurance company that was fraudulent has a case against this person after you sue them infact.

your targeting the wrong person as insurance company is who did wrong to you here.