A 22 year old college grad. No credit. Keeps getting denied because of lack of history. Which bank or card should he go for that will give him a good start?:shock:

Edited by Try4Gr8Credit

BOA secured is usually a good place to start they report to all 3 do not have the huge fees associated with other Secured cards (although not fee free) and do convert to unsecured if he is a good boy and eats all his greens etc. :mrgreen:

The real question is how the heck did he get through college without the credit vultures descending on him from every angle? :p

It was good that he did'nt fall under the credit card pressure, but I was in his ear the whole four years.

What about Orchard or First Premier? Are they still around?

They are but you might have a lot of upfront cost fees; check out the BoA secured card. It was the first CC I started to use to rebuild my credit, and have you tried getting a gas card or department store one? They are pretty fairly easy to get, but I would get one at your favorite department store/gasoline station.

Hope all works out for you!

The real question is how the heck did he get through college without the credit vultures descending on him from every angle? :p

That is a really good question. Unless just about everything is frozen because of the crummy economy, if you breathe, you can get a credit card just because you are a college student. And if you couldn't breathe, financial institutions would still find a way to grant a college student a credit card.

There ought to be brochures tacked on to bulletin boards in classrooms and in hallways on campus grounds somewhere and anywhere. If not, another college would have them plastered everywhere. But it depends, the crummy economy may have greatly tightened credit.

Stay away from First Premier/Orchar/Target etc. Go to a local credit union- open a savings account, keep making weekly or monthly deposits- when you get to $1000 get a secured card.

The funds for a secure card are not a problem. I was wondering what secure card would be best? Ie report to the big 3, not report as secure, and has the best annual fee and fees? Does any of them offer online payment? Boa has blacklisted me due to going bk on an account with them.