unc12

Judgement against me

I recently had a judgment against me not because of proof from the defendant but from not filing an "intent to defend" in the proper amount of time. they sent me a summons in Aug. but they didn't sue me (what the judge said) then . did i still have to file an intent to defend even if the summons letter didn't say it at the bottom? i thought that you only had to show up to defend at that time. Later they filed a writ of summons in sep and it had a motion to defend at the bottom of the page. So did they sue me twice and since the sol was 7/2005, can i appeal saying that the suit was filed in sep which is past the sol?

I recently had a judgment against me not because of proof from the defendant YOU are the Defendantbut from not filing an "intent to defend" in the proper amount of time. Why not? You always have to answer a summons. they sent me a summons in Aug. but they didn't sue me What do you think they were doing by sending you a summons exactly? (what the judge said) then . did i still have to file an intent to defend even if the summons letter didn't say it at the bottom? i thought that you only had to show up to defend at that time. Later they filed a writ of summons in sep and it had a motion to defend at the bottom of the page. So did they sue me twice and since the sol was 7/2005, can i appeal saying that the suit was filed in sep which is past the sol?

You appear totally confused by the process. The only thing you may be able to do is apply to have the judgment vacated. I would suggest you see a lawyer for at least a free consultation as there will be specific rules of procedure in your state that apply.

Good luck.

You appear totally confused by the process. The only thing you may be able to do is apply to have the judgment vacated. I would suggest you see a lawyer for at least a free consultation as there will be specific rules of procedure in your state that apply.

Good luck.

Yea i meant to put plaintiff. I did answer the summons and showed up to the court date and the plaintiff had a lawyer sitting in the corner with a table and chair discussing settlements with other defendants. i don't think this was a merit trial where you appear in front of a judge. this was just showing up to court and meeting with the person suing you to come to a settlement. in the initial summons it didn't say i was being sued or give the option to file an intent to defend.