Total amout owed keeps changing

mmarley66

I received what I really don’t consider debt validation regarding an asset account. They sent me a letter with my name, OC, amount due and the last four numbers of my SS number. I asked them for proof, something with a signature, not some document I can simply put together in Word. My question is this:

I have received two letters from them before I got this envelope full of crap. The balance keeps changing from the original amount due. It went from:

How is that possible? And the amount changed that much with in two weeks. What should my next step be with this? Should I send another letter requesting something with a signature like I did the first time or is it time to write the OC? This debt goes back to 05 and its a gym membership. I desputed this with the CRA's all ready. Not sure what my next move should be.

Is it marked as disputed? If not you have some violations in which case I would simply issue suit.

Are Asshats claiming they have bought the debt? I would be tempted to send them a SOL FOAD and let them sue, if they want to get that excited about things, as it is unlikely that they will have sufficient to prove their claim. If they want to assert that it is within SOL then let them pay to prove it. Along with producing the contract, the assignment agreement etc etc. How much do they want to spend on a debt of this size?

You are pretty much banging your head against the wall with these people. SO either you throw out a challenge or be prepared to have contact with them forever and a day. They are not renowned for being reasonable. Often the only thing that grabs their attention is a summons.

The varying amounts varying it is increasing is probably due to interest added which they may or may not be able to do. Of course to prove they have that right they need to produce the original contract.

Here is what one part of the letter says:

As a result of our investigation we have determined the information we are reporting is accurate. However, we have reported your account as disputed to the credit reporting agencies.

To make things even more complicated the first letter they sent me I owed: 1003.70. On my credit report it states: 1012. When I disputed this with the CRA the only one who removed it was Transunion. Not even two days later this one account, the gym one was picked up by Portfolio recovery. So now I have two collectors collecting on the same debt. How can that be?

It is not unheard of for more than a CA to have the same account. VOD to PR within 30 days. Unfortunately you are likely to face a game of whack a mole. The only way to try and keep your sanity is FOAD to all of them, which carries the risk of inviting suit. Given what you have told us I would not be overly worried about that. Eventually one of them is going to violate and you can issue suit and make it go away permanently. The more times it gets passed around the less value the debt has.