BillyBoy

Amex no longer accepting settlements

I have a fresh case with "Zwicker and Associates" from MA they are representing Amex in my case. During the first conversation I was told that 'Amex no longer accept settlements" Is this a bluff ? Collector is "offering" to speak with Amex and help me get enrolled to 6-month long Amex "customer care" program, definitely a good deal and I know about this program, it is 0% for 6-months, but as I might be in a position to settle my debt at 50%, I would like to push that one forward, but the guy keeps telling me that it is not an option anymore. Any feedback appreciated .....

Come'on ofcourse you talk with them, how else you will figure out the situation. Guy was not bad dealing with at all actually, I deal with bigger jerks in my day job. And yes I have asked for the Debt Validation Letter and I am recording the conversations. I amnot scared of these guys one bit, they want to sue me fine thats the day I file for bankcruptcy I don't give a crap. But I my point is I might have a way to settle if they come down to 50% (with Amex) and this guy is giving me crap about Amex no longer doing this. Do you know if this is true or bluff ? anyone ? Anyone settled with these guys and Amex lately ? anyone hearing about this ?

Newryman's post is not about being afraid of talking to CA's. It's because CA's LIE, all the time. Well once in a great while they might tell the truth, but odds are against it. That's why he says: Don't talk to CA's. Get it in writing.

Who "owns" the account?

If it's AMEX deal with them directly, not thru Zwicker. They are scum.

If a JDB owes it, why would you pay anything to someone you don't owe money to?

BTW if you asked THEM for a DV letter, than you obviously don't have a clue. Prepare to file.

Edited by astiman
spelling
Come'on ofcourse you talk with them, how else you will figure out the situation.

Personally I use my reading skills. :dunno:

There again my writing skills would allow me to say "how else would you find out what the situation is?" but whatever.

Which collection agency do you work for? You are out of your depth here but hey carry on amusing and trolling us :lol:

There are actually real lawyers here who know different re what AMEX will settle for in the real world. ;)

Newryman is always right about Rule #1 and Rule #2.

Zwicker is a particular disgusting breed of cockroach. I would make sure to get your shots after the conversation.

Zwicker never talked to AMEX. They are jerking your chain about AMEX not making settlements, ZWICKER DOES NOT WANT TO MAKE SETTLEMENT.

Personally, I'm feeling some potential for infection just talking about Zwicker.

Where is that keyboard sanitizer....

ok people, some of your comments here make sense, some are just off the wall. #1 No, I am not with a collection agency, I am dealing with Zwicker, they are one #2 I have asked for letter called "Verification of Debt" because that is standard procedure and I want to see if Amex is just uing them interim purposes or if they have sold my account to them preiod. I assume this letter wil tell me who owns my account now. When I called Amex they said they have given my account for them to "handle" what ever that means. They were not willing to speak with me any further so that is obviosuly then unknown.

and what you mean they dont want to settle with me ? Guy tld me that he would love to but "Amex is no longer accepting this"

Does anyone actually have some recent knowledge about the fact if Amex/Zwicker have accepted settlement on total debt owed 50% 55% ??

What you mean "prepare to file" ? for Bankcruptcy ? Sure, I got no problem with that if that is the last resource ... but if I can settle at 50% I might be able to avoid it. If they want to drag me into court I got no problem with that, then thats the way it is and we see what comes out of that.

What shots are you talking about ? Can you people maintain language that a normal people can understand please, just looking to see if Amex is no longer accepting debt settlements, they seem to be pushing hard this customer care" prgram with 0% for 6-months .....

Read this: (the article, do not be distracted R. Witherspoon)

http://www.familyandconsumerlaw.com/2009/09/is-that-attorney-working-on-your-file.html

This is what is happening to you.

You have two choices, take newryman's advice, don't talk to them, deal everything in writing....

OR

hire a good consumer lawyer to ferrit these jokers out pretending to be AMEX.

Zwicker is one of the lowest forms of cockroach. In fact, I put on some plastic gloves and took out my Zwicker letter stuff after de-sanitizing my keyboard, and recognized all sorts of FDCPA and state law violations I missed first time around.

I then burned the gloves as hazardous waste.

If Zwicker is not licensed to practice law in your state, just stomp on the cockroach with a complete cease communication letter and be done with them.

You know why dont you drop those tricky jokey words and save some line space here. I am asking a very simple question and your responses do nothing but get the topic lost. Simple question I am asking here.

Has anyone lately settled with Amex (perhaps ZSwicker involved or not) ?

Has anyone heard about "Amex not accepting settlements anymore"

Stop telling me to talk with them or not, that is my choice and if I choose to speak with them trying to deal with this settlement, then let me talk and take that risk. Stop repeating the same lines already, I get your message.

Is there anyone here with actual answer to my question.

Any input to my actual question highly appreciated thank you.

Okay, here's some plain english...since AMEX has become an actual national bank, they are actually a little more inclined to settle delinquent accounts. They now need to at least appear to be following FDIC regulations.

1. You can determine if your account has been sold by looking at a recent credit report. If the AMEX tradeline line says "sold to another lender" and the balance is $0, its been sold...if not, Zwicker is a CA, not a JDB.

2. If they're a CA, call AMEX. Ask for a supervisor. Tell them it is your personal policy to not deal with CAs and if they want your money, they'll either talk with you directly or take you to court. A CA cannot speak (legally) for the OC and anything they tell you is a lie...their sole purpose is to get you to cough up money so they can get their commission. Any money you send them (or through them to AMEX) may or may not get applied to your account.

3. If they're a JDB. stop talking to them...period. If they decide to sue, chances are very good they don't have enough evidence to win in court.

Here is a brief description of a couple of the most common abbreviations used here:

JDB = Junk Debt Buyer

CA = Collections Agency

JDB's also have CA's collect on the debt they purchase. They may or may not have the documentation to prove chain of ownership. Most of the time they do not - the JDB's and/or CA's working for the JDB's just 'wing it'.

There are many CA's and JDB's that fashion their business name to look as if it is a law firm. Most of the time it is just postering. They are marketing fear - so when you see that letter that looks like it comes from a law firm, it may or may not actually be from one.

is just the "hired gun" acting as AMEX lawyer, but is empowered to settle or not settle without infomring AMEX (which is against legal ethical cannons), you really have little hope of settling this whether AMEX possess this account or not WHILE IT IS IN THE HANDS OF ZWICKER!

If Zwicker does not have licensed attorneys in your state...

sit back and let the claim be assigned to someone more reasonable!

I dont realy have interst or time to file against anyone, I jsut want to settle, again if anyone have any info on what kind of settlement Amex/Zwicker have taken any sort of settlement lately, that info would be veyr valuable. I hear MC and Visa related companies takein 25-30% from total debt but I dont hear the same abotu Amex and then also these guys are saying (true or not?) that "Amex is no longer taking settlements' ..... I really have hard time believing that. If I offered 20K on my 43K debt, why wouldn't they want to settle me, I realy could care less who takes the money and who makes a cut out of that as long as I'm done with my debt. Any other tips about documentation or the procedure highly appreciated. I am recording all the calls and will ask evereything in writing naturally but my goal is to be done with this with one simple settlement.

Billy, I wondered if ya were just messing with us but now I KNOW you are when I see this in your last post:

"I realy could care less who takes the money "

Now take your toys and play elsewhere...we have tried to give you real, intelligent advice and we get sarcasm and disdain....

If you 'realy' believe the above statement then I truly should feel sorry for you, but I 'realy' don't.

Good luck...

I dont know why you people are so suspicious here, I'm here first time in my life and appreciate some of the info received, you "astiman" must have lots of angst around and fear all day long about some of these boogie men. You are taking lots of valuable space here and get some improtant questions burried ..... so just get lost.

Thanks for others for those valuable posts, I think I figured out today how I stand against these guys and really appreciate it.

Now if someone would just tell me at what level Amex is settling these days and if there is any truth to these claims about them not doing this anymore (which I doubt)

And yeah, I really could care less where my 20K goes as long as my debt is cleared legimately.....

/me takes a crack @ this one...

...legitimately cleared.......you don't care where it goes......

my friend, those two statements contradict each other. Since you want it cleared legit you MUST care wehre it goes - you can't have one without the other, do you understand?

And for the record, nobody here knows what AMEX will settle at. Only AMEX does. YOU have to call and talk to AMEX directly to find out. "but they won't talk to me, only Zwicker will"...you've got two choices at that point - believe Zwicker or not. nothing else.

Question still remains ..... and it keps getting burried after these meaningless answers. I realy hope someone can put some light into this matter.

Again

Zwicker guys claim that "Amex doesn't take settlements anymore because pla pla pla pla ...." .... they are pushing this 0% for 6-month program called "customer care" which I was already under, missed a payment and there it went to Zwicker my case then. I yet to figure out who owns my debt at this point, but reading all you (intelligent ones withou smartie comments) comments I think Amex is just using Zwicker to make situation look a bit tougher, whatevever, I'm going to shut those guys up and communicate direclty with Amex and make sure they understands I will only talk abd pay them. Seems like this is what is recommended. I yet to see any letter that says very clearly that Zwicker owns my debt, only a letter from both of them saying that Zwicker is "handling my case" .... that to me is not the same. I will only accept a settlement kind of deal and thats what I am going to stick with, they can test me as much as they want to.

is someone also hearing about this "Amex no longer negotiating settlemetns"
Here's what the guy was actually saying to you. "I work for Zwicker, Zwicker doesn't get paid unless you send us the money. I will say anything to make you beleive that AMEX won't deal with you." He's lying. You know how you can tell when a CA is lying? Their mouth is moving...

HAS ANYONE recently settled with Amex and at what % level,

Unless the settlement was done yesterday, other people's experience is of no value to you. AMEX has changed. The economy has changed. The rules have changed.