Frederick J. Hanna & Associates in the clear.. for now.

ualbany18

http://www.mdjonline.com/pages/full_story/push?article-Law+firm++in+the+clear%20&id=3531950-Law+firm++in+the+clear&instance=home_news_special_coverage

"...A Marietta law firm that focuses on debt collection does not have to turn over its client list and other documents demanded by state officials investigating allegations of abusive practices, Superior Court Judge S. Lark Ingram ordered on Friday..."

"...The state Supreme Court, through the State Bar, has exclusive jurisdiction over the practice of law, thus the investigative demand constitutes an "impermissible interference" by the executive branch into the domain of the judicial branch, Ingram wrote..."

"...As to the complaints that led to the initial demand of his client, Bowers said only, "You should not expect people who are being asked to pay their bills to like the people who asking them to pay their bills..."

One small step in favor of the creditors! I have not been able to find a ton of information on this, I only heard about it today. Anyone in the Georgia area with more access to news paper articles on the subject feel free to add more information.

You should be upset about this! Hanna is the worst of the worst scumbag.

This decision is ridiculous.

It only serves to dig me in harder for the fight! (I just sued Hanna)

If you get rid of the bad players like Hanna, then you can legitimately explain how holy and pure debt collectors are in their behavior.

You can't do that without lying as long as guys like "Black mold" Hanna are in the business.

• Like 2

You should be upset about this! Hanna is the worst of the worst scumbag.

This decision is ridiculous.

It only serves to dig me in harder for the fight! (I just sued Hanna)

If you get rid of the bad players like Hanna, then you can legitimately explain how holy and pure debt collectors are in their behavior.

You can't do that without lying as long as guys like "Black mold" Hanna are in the business.

I think this is interesting, because the NY AG has filed a similar suit against 37collection firms in NY regarding a process serving company they hired. I wonder if any of the firms are going to look to this decision for a foundation (or at least a start) as to why the lawsuit against them should be thrown out and not heard.

I think this is interesting, because the NY AG has filed a similar suit against 37collection firms in NY regarding a process serving company they hired. I wonder if any of the firms are going to look to this decision for a foundation (or at least a start) as to why the lawsuit against them should be thrown out and not heard.

Uhhh, the NY case is a different issue. The NY case involves an abuse of the court practices as well as perjury, not abuse of practices by the debt collecting organizations. The process serving company did not perform their service and then lied to the courts stating that they did. If anything, the debt collecting companies should be suing the process server for not performing their service.

Oh, BTW, you are lucky to not have a debt collector call you. I seem to get calls all the time looking for the previous user of my phone number, previous resident at my current home, and assorted other people who are either not attached to me or whom I have not talked to in years.

Uhhh, the NY case is a different issue. The NY case involves an abuse of the court practices as well as perjury, not abuse of practices by the debt collecting organizations. The process serving company did not perform their service and then lied to the courts stating that they did. If anything, the debt collecting companies should be suing the process server for not performing their service.

Oh, BTW, you are lucky to not have a debt collector call you. I seem to get calls all the time looking for the previous user of my phone number, previous resident at my current home, and assorted other people who are either not attached to me or whom I have not talked to in years.

Time you started suing people in that case and get paid for your valuable time.

The crux of the matter here is that the Governor's office of Consumer Affairs issued the investigation, NOT the AG..."thus the investigative demand constitutes an "impermissible interference" by the executive branch into the domain of the judicial branch". A technicality for sure, but one that worked in Hanna's favor...at least for now. Hopefully, the Consumer Affairs office will now bring the AG into the picture so any investigation is done through the proper channels.

Uhhh, the NY case is a different issue. The NY case involves an abuse of the court practices as well as perjury, not abuse of practices by the debt collecting organizations.

It is not about the issue at hand at all. The GA Superior court ruled that the Gov's Office of Consumer Affairs did not have jurisdiction to subpoena a Law Firm. Law Firms are governed by and I quote "The state Supreme Court, through the State Bar, has exclusive jurisdiction over the practice of law" and that the investigation "constitutes an impermissible interference by the executive branch into the domain of the judicial branch."

The process serving company did not perform their service and then lied to the courts stating that they did. If anything, the debt collecting companies should be suing the process server for not performing their service.

Yep, but the collection attorneys have no recourse against the process service company since most of the employees have been placed under arrest, and the corporation is defunct.

Take for example Forster and Garbus, they had 28,000 summonses and complaints served for them by American Legal Process Servers. Lets say the process serving company charged them $15 per summons (which is extremely cheap) that means they laid out 420k for a services they did not receive, and are not able to recoup the $$ they laid out. I believe the collection attorneys are the real victims in this lawsuit by the NY AG.