HIPAA Process or DV?

zig

What to do, please...I have a derog on my CR by a CA, dated 5/2009. Payment status on Eq is "Unpaid" and on TU is "Collection Account". Comments on Eq say "Medical unpaid" and TU says "Placed for collection".

Firstly, let me say that I do not think this is my account, or it's reported incorrectly (unless some very old medical bills were moved from Oregon to my current hometown in Washington...pretty unlikely), as I have paid (without late payments) in full, every medical bill that I have incurred since moving to Washington 3 years ago (the CA is here in my town). Secondly, I have NEVER received a bill from the CA...I just found it by pulling my 3 credit reports.

My question is this...since it's listed as medical, should I use the HIPAA process, as described here, or since I truly believe it's an incorrect entry, should I DV to CRA and/or to CA or should I use both, HIPAA process and DV?

Thanks for all your help,

Zig

A debt collector is a debt collector, a medical debt is a debt. Treat it as any other. Any HIPPA violations you find along the way are a bonus. There are many avenues of attack on a summons for medical debt that aren't available on credit card debt etc. In fact medical debt collectors can be a great source of amusement as they tend to be on the whole less aggressive and knowledgeable, as many threads on this forum will attest to.

If they want to sue let them. The cost of a Dr waiting around in court to be cross examined tends to concentrate his mind when he has to cancel money earning appointments to be called an idiot. Trust me its fun. ;)

VOD and treat as any other collector for now.

• 2 weeks later...

I had 4 medical collections on all Credit Bureaus. two of them are recent. For Equifax, I disputed all 4 med collections, also disputed old addresses online using the MyFico website. At first, I never heard from them for 45 days, so I called and made a complaint. It took me about half an hour to get to a supervisor and told her straight up that I was going to sue them for violating the FCRA. To my amazement, 30 days later, they deleted it. My score went from 560 to 770 in less than 3 months with Equifax (actually dealt with a company called "CSC" affiliated with Equifax).

When I tried disputing the same med collections with Experian, they all came back verified. I recently read about the HIPAA process. it's kinda confusing. Has anyone ever had any real success with the HIPAA process? I'm willing to pay some of the med collections to the OC, but I'm not so sure if this will work?

I really don't want to fork out too much money to pay the OC and then find out it won't get deleted using the HIPAA process.

suggestions anyone?