daisymay

Collection Agency Banging on Door

My daughter lives in Arizona. She is financially strapped and has been in the process of filing for bankruptcy due to her financial situation.

A collection agency recently obtained a default judgment against her. The collection agency has been coming to her door, banging on it, even after 9:00 p.m. She’s feeling harassed and threatened by the manner in which this is happening. A process server wouldn’t doing this (and not a collection agency), would they?

What are her options until such time as she can get the bankruptcy paperwork filed, which will probably be in the next 2 weeks?

Well a process serving may be knocking on her door to attempt to serve papers. That is all I can think of. Maybe that can be construed as banging. In New York you are allowed to attempt serve process from 6am to 11pm, do not know if Arizona laws are similar.

My daughter lives in Arizona. She is financially strapped and has been in the process of filing for bankruptcy due to her financial situation.

A collection agency recently obtained a default judgment against her. The collection agency has been coming to her door, banging on it, even after 9:00 p.m. She’s feeling harassed and threatened by the manner in which this is happening. A process server wouldn’t doing this (and not a collection agency), would they?

What are her options until such time as she can get the bankruptcy paperwork filed, which will probably be in the next 2 weeks?

Have her call 911.their trespassing anytime after 7:00 pm.Once you trespass them they can be arrested any time they come on her property.You know Arizona has a lot of desert that a collector could go missing in,xangelx:twisted:

There is no excuse for that type of behavior, period. The next time it happens, call the police and tell them that you think someone is trying to break into your house.

Then, go see an attorney, explain the situation to him and let him do his thing.

• Like 1

Ditto, have her call 911. She has no way of knowing who these people are or what they want without opening the door (and even then they could be lying). That's just dangerous for a single woman living alone. It's all going to get taken care of when she files BK so no harm in getting the cops to chase these fools away, even if they are trying serve her.

I'm certainly not advocating it, but here in Arizona some people banging on a door loudly making threats have been met with a shotgun blast.

Yep, and now even if the guy runs into a bar, you can follow with your shotgun. :roll: