someonesomewhere

Coworker of Mine Got The Axe Today

No warning. No two weeks. Nothing. Yer gone. Goodbye.

We gave him a "Last Supper" for lunch. Caused me to update my job search agents on Dice. Have to update the resume there and on Monster. Not that I expect much to come of it.

Stopped in at Costco and Starbucks over the weekend. Looking for parttime work, hopefully with medical bennies. Heck, in a few months, I might be applying for full time work there.

The minivan will be paid off in March. If push comes to shove, we could PIF earlier to ensure we keep a roof over our heads.

Still one of the "Working Wounded", for now.

Well, do you think they just let him or her go as a one person deal or do you think this is a sign of more to come? Either way, it's a bad deal for your coworker. Maybe there was reason to let them go and this is just an isolated incident??

That's unfortunate. Was it possibly for cause? Seems a bit harsh to walk someone out with no notice and w/out severance.

My employer is finally cleaning house after years. There are people I work with who haven't lifted a finger in months. About 50% of my department will go. They'll give 90 days notice, 3 weeks severance for every year you've worked there, provide you with your full 2009 bonus (10-30% of your salary depending on your level), and pay your medical for one year.

There are people begging to be terminated. In my state, you receive severance pay and unemployment at the same time. I have coworkers that will actually get a $33,000 raise to sit at home for 18 months. :shock:

These days, they just give you the axe. Sometimes I think they choose by flipping a coin. They've probably let all the dead weight go long ago, so I can't imagine it was for cause.

The good news: I really think things are turning around and the job market will be moving along next year (by spring). Why do I say that? Look at the stock market - my IRA is almost back to the value it used to have.

Once companies feel comfortable and people stop feeling like they've been robbed - they will start spending. That will start happening any minute. I still think it will be a bleak Christmas.