Ravenous Wolf

Teen assaults family after phone taken

Teen allegedly assaults family after phone taken

FALMOUTH, Mass. (AP) - Authorities said an angry Falmouth teen kicked his mother in the throat, head-butted his brother and punched and bit his father after his mom took away his cell phone to punish him.

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20091009/D9B78NE01.html

I just talked to a friend who resorted to taking away her son's cell phone, electronics, internet access and finally the electricity to his room.

It worked - he now is doing better in school, does his chores and no long calls his mom a f^$#ing b&^tch.

Kids don't have a right to cell phones. That's a crazy notion.

Kids don't have a right to cell phones. That's a crazy notion.

I believe our children need a phone, for emergencies or to check when they are ready to be picked up.

Talking to my wife about her cell phone bill she has with your 14yr old son. They have 750 minute plan with Verizon with unlimited text. He knows if he talks and goes over the plan, he will lose his phone. Last month he sent over 1300 texts...

My wife and I realize we need to keep him busy, if he is going to be free of trouble in the future. Two weeks ago we enrolled him into The School of Rock http://www.schoolofrock.com/melville/main_school.php

Friday I went with my wife to pick him up, was really impressed on how they handle the kids.

:)

I love the notion of

"Kids need phones so parents can know where they are and that their safe at all times"

My parents knew where I was and that I was safe, and I had no cellphone.

When we went on a family trip, there were no video games, no dvds, no satelite radio, and no t.v. no turn by turn gps systems.

We had walkmans, paper maps (if we were lucky) and siblings.

I mean my goodness all the stimulation has got to be taking a huge toll on sibling rivalry, threats of pulling car off road yelled by disgruntled parents, missed off ramps and the inevitable lost in a bad part of town tensions.

I can't remember any long distant trip that didn't result in the purchasing of batteries at the gas station (remember how walkmans used to drain batteries at impossibly quick rates)

The incessant annoyance either inflicted on or by a sibling, usually to the "mom _____(fill in siblings name) is _______(insert complaint ie looking at me, touching me, hogging the back seat ect..) and the frantic argument exchanged between your parents as to which exit to take or an accusation of good job now were lost from one parent to whoever the scapegoat was. Awh such fond memories.

Now my 8 year old niece has a cellphone, nintendo ds, dvd player, laptop all with adapter plugs for lighter so batteries never need to be replaced.

And any mention of past childhood trip memories ellict the all to familiar eye roll , its the way you rolled your eyes when your parents told stories of walking to school in a blizzard and it was uphill both ways....

And my goodness explaining how cool pagers were back in the day is met with the same condesending pity you felt when your parents talked about tv before mtv or remote controls.

And so its come to this, the horrible realization that you are more like your parents than you thought or are comfortable with...and then the fear of knowing in the future your day will also revolve around bingo and a mainstay of conversation will reguard indepth discussion of your bowel movements.

http://www.thedailytube.com/video/18629/kid-freaks-over-cancelled-world-of-warcraft-account

http://vodpod.com/watch/38213-kassie-kicks-monsters-a$$

The links above are hilarious and a testament to the effect of the barage of technology on children!

Edited by ditaloca

someone sent me this and I thought it was hilarious and thought it would go nicely here Apologies in advance if this is not okay to do .... THE SPOILED UNDER-30 CROWD!!!

If you are 30 or older you will think this is hilarious!!!!

When I was a kid, adults used to bore me to tears with their tedious diatribes about how hard things were. When they were growing up; what with walking twenty-five miles to school every morning....

Uphill... Barefoot....

BOTH ways

Yadda, yadda, yadda

And I remember promising myself that when I grew up, there was no way in hell I was going to lay a bunch of crap like that on my kids about how hard I had it and how easy they've got it!

But now that . . . I'm over the ripe old age of thirty, I can't help but look around and notice the youth of today.

You've got it so easy! I mean, compared to my childhood, you live in a damn Utopia!

And I hate to say it, but you kids today, you don't know how good you've got it!

I mean, when I was a kid we didn't have the Internet. If we wanted to know something, we had to go to the damn library and look it up ourselves, in the card catalogue!!

There was no email!! We had to actually write somebody a letter - with a pen!

Then you had to walk all the way across the street and put it in the mailbox, and it would take like a week to get there! Stamps were 10 cents!

Child Protective Services didn't care if our parents beat us. As a matter of fact, the parents of all my friends also had permission to kick our a$$! Nowhere was safe!

There were no MP3' s or Napsters! If you wanted to steal music, you had to hitchhike to the damn record store and shoplift it yourself!

Or you had to wait around all day to tape it off the radio, and the DJ would usually talk over the beginning and @#*% it all up! There were no CD players! We had tape decks in our car. We'd play our favorite tape and "eject" it when finished, and the tape would come undone. Cause - that's how we rolled, dig?

We didn't have fancy crap like Call Waiting! If you were on the phone and somebody else called, they got a busy signal, that's it!

And we didn't have fancy Caller ID either! When the phone rang, you had no idea who it was! It could be your school, your mom, your boss, your bookie, your drug dealer, a collections agent, you just didn't know!!! You had to pick it up and take your chances, mister!

We didn't have any fancy Sony Playstation video games with high-resolution 3-D graphics! We had the Atari 2600! With games like 'Space Invaders' and 'Asteroids'. Your guy was a little square! You actually had to use your imagination!! And there were no multiple levels or screens, it was just one screen... Forever! And you could never win. The game just kept getting harder and harder and faster and faster until you died! Just like LIFE!

You had to use a little book called a TV Guide to find out what was on! You were screwed when it came to channel surfing! You had to get off your a$$ and walk over to the TV to change the channel! NO REMOTES!!!

There was no Cartoon Network either! You could only get cartoons on Saturday Morning. Do you hear what I'm saying? We had to wait ALL WEEK for cartoons, you spoiled little rat-bastards!

And we didn't have microwaves. If we wanted to heat something up, we had to use the stove! Imagine that!

That's exactly what I'm talking about! You kids today have got it too easy. You're spoiled. You guys wouldn't have lasted five minutes back in 1980 or before!

Regards,

The Over 30 Crowd

I had totally forgotten about the copious amounts of time I dedicated to the pursuit of the "perfect" mixed tape, there were ones for excercising, driving, hanging out, plane trips, summer, vacations etc... when we recently moved I found the "puppy love" tapes from old boyfriends, you know where all the songs and some other meaning special between just you two.

I remember having spent whole afternoons where all my friends would get together to share and make copies of each others music.

I also remember my mom throwing away my cure tape, because she was positive the title "two heads on a door" was indeed satanic. LOL

Of course this only reinforced my precieved notions that my parents had no clue what it was like to be a teen, they had no taste in music and indeed the Cure was even more "cool"

I did go through a whole "riot girl" phase ( I know - I know - I KNOW) during this time there was a local punk band called primative tribes, they had a song called "wage slave" it was a favorite pasttime of mine to forcefully play this paticular song incessantly while on car trips, and when ever my dad would roll his eyes at my rebellion against money, I would sing the lyrics to him.... " on and on and on again your just another little wage slave, working for a lifetime just to buy a house it took a week to make"

A frequent question my parents would ask one another, out loud as a passive agressive attempt to make me aware of their displeasure,

"Where does she get this crap, who keeps making this? To which the other parent replies

" how would I know, I have no idea I think she sneaks off to the city dump at night and collects it, it has to be, its all trash"

When I Look back I'm so embarassed, Sorry dad!

On another note, my niece is nutty for the library, its weird... when pda and other "book reader" devices came out I jumped for joy and have had a few different versions, I love the idea of a library in my pocket... I do frequently find a book that I just really really love and for whatever reason I'm compelled to purchase the actual book, somehow still crave the tactile experience of reading a treasured story I guess... and it then goes in the personal library. But I digress, the niece is in love with going to library and looking at all the selection, and its always a huge deal and it may take up to an hour or so to whittle away our choices to fit into the "3" books at a time limit! She actually lights up at the offer of a library trip... anyone else have a tween with similiar reactions?

Edited by ditaloca

I'm sorry, but kids do not require cell phones. Classrooms at all schools have phones in each room, so messages can be taken and relayed to kids in emergencies.

How about forcing kids to take responsibility for being where they say they will be and being on time. I think it's ridiculous that any kid under the age of 13 has a cell phone. (Actually I think it's ridiculous for any kid under the age of 15, but no doubt I will get rocks thrown at me for saying that.)

I didn't have a cell phone and my mom knew where I was, or if I was out riding my bike with friends I was to be home at a certain time. I was required to tell her which friend's house I was at and my mom could call if she needed to reach me (which honestly, was never - I knew when dinner was, that I needed to do my homework before playing, etc.)

My mom was not shy about taking away my allowance, TV watching privileges, or grounding me if I didn't follow the rules.

I think it's incredibly amazing how cell phones have changed society. Look at any street corner, and half the people are on their phone or using their phone to text. They don't even talk to their friends at dinner.

I'm not technology adverse at all - I've had the same cell phone number since 1989 - I had one of the first cell phones you installed in your car, and just kept it all these years. I had one of the first small handsets became available, first Palm Pilot, first iPod, though I have to say, I'll never own a DVD blu-ray, I'm going all-internet TV shortly and disconnecting my cable.

I can't believe the number of times people scold me for not answering my cell phone, or not carrying it around (yes I can LIVE THROUGH THAT). I don't have to be wired 24 hrs/day, fer Chrissakes. I almost never answer my cell phone - I don't like being interrupted. What's happened to private time?? I prefer texting and emailing. You can answer back at your time.

Rant, rant, rant. Thanks for listening.

I agree with you Admin...

I am constantly bombarded with the question " why didn't you answer your phone"? Half the time it's in the car (the whole reason I got one in the first place... in case I broke down) the other half of the time it's been at the bottom of my purse so long, it's not charged.:lol: I go home charge the thing and it's full of messages. What do you know not one was life threatening.:shock:

Now the kids I know, are basically using them to text/send notes. There are, of course, strict policies about no cell phones in the classroom, but there was the rule of no passing notes back in my day and if you got caught had to read it in front of the class. Depending on how desperate they are to tell so and so how "cute"/"hot" a person is, who's dating who, and the rest of school gossip they sometimes take the chance, and if caught, lose their phone and a parent has to pick it up.. or back in the day, were totaling humliated by reading aloud what you wrote:lol:

The only way my kids get to have a phone is by paying for it. They buy the phone with x-mas/b-day $ and then have to earn the rest to keep it going (pay as you go). Mowing and babysitting seem to be the favorites as of now, next year de-tassling :D:shock: My DH and I are already placing bets on which child will actually complete the this job. :lol::lol::lol:

Woooooooooooooooooooooooowww!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG what is going on with these kids today? seriously/ where are they getting thes violent tendencies from?