2ndTimeAround

Diagnosed with Sleep Apnea

My wife had been on my case to have this checked out. She says I stop breathing for long periods on time, at night and I snore.

Had my physical done with my regular doctor a few weeks ago. 6.1, 225 lbs, blood work all OK, border line high on the HDL.

Last Saturday night went and had my first over night sleep study done. At was kinda weird - they hooked up wires around my ankles, a few around my chest, and about 10 or so on my head. This coming Thursday meeting with the doctor to go over the results, then the following Saturday going back for another study with an air piece (forced air) placed over my nose.

My regular Doctor said they can do surgery to cut my Uvula to stop my snoring. Later I found many people prefer to just wear a forced air piece over their nose at night.

Anyone else had this experience? I think having the surgery is the way to go? Which is better?

..:)

About 15 years ago, I went for a "sleep study" along with about 30 other people. (It was a big clinic, run by a PhD rather than an MD). Same setup...electrodes all over my body, cameras watching me sleep.

By some amazing coincidence, all 30 people came away with a C-PAP machnie (leased by the "Doctor's" company). All of us tested positive for sleep apena. Somewhat suspicous in my mind.

I'm not trying to down play the seriousness of sleep apena. It is a real concern...but...IMHO, the way to treat it and cure it is to lose weight and strenghten the muscles around your neck...not spend $400 a month for a machine that makes your sleep unconfortable.

I went from 6'-2, 350 lbs down to 280. I stopped snoring, and my wife says I sleep all night...normally.

Unfortunately, I think the automatic answer from a sleep study is the CPAP machine for the rest of your life. And that wasn't the solution for me so I opted for the surgery after the results from the second sleep study (which was done with the CPAP machine).

I had the uvilectomy, tonsilectomy, and the septoplasty (all done at once). My insurance denied the PPP? (I don't remember what the fourth character is). The laymans term for it is "trimming the palette" which is the MOST effective of all four procedures (which will stop the snoring and the sleep apnea). However, even with the three procedures it still went a LONG way to help me.

I recently had a sleep study and it was determined that I had no sleep obstruction so I didn't need a PPP? surgery (even when I was hooked up to a CPAP machine for that sleep study). I also lost over thirty pounds and I now have a better diet and I exercise regularly so that helps a lot too.

But yeah, I think it is very suspicious that the only answer seems to be a CPAP machine (for the rest of your life). The outfit that was offering me the CPAP machine hounded me every day for a few weeks to when I was going to drop by and get one. I went to a totally different place for that very recent sleep study that wasn't in any way connected to the outfit providing CPAP machines.

I have been skeptical of a lot of sleep apnea diagnoses. I saw too many docs setting up "sleep study centers" for it not to be a cash cow fad diagnosis. What were your oxygen levels as recorded during the study?

Don't get me wrong, the condition does exists - I just wonder how many of those diagnosed actually have the condition.

I've got the CPAP machine.....they gave me the choice of like 3 or 4 different masks to use, looked effing FREAKY! But it works great! I just got the least invasive mask, the one that goes over the nose like your typical airline oxygen mask.

I stop breathing like an average of 5x in 20 minutes or something...had my CPAP over 2 years now with no issues. I sleep better, and Squeaker likes it (she's a light sleeper) as well.

Husband going thru same. Cpap still sucks as he has somehow managed to learn to snore while wearing the mask. Ugh nothing to wake you up like a husband doing a darth vader snoring solo so loud the dogs are hiding out in the closet.

Also he likes the pull the hose out of the mask and fling it so you are woken up to a quick blast of air to yr face or whatever. Or a dog barking at the hose ( I don't blame them).

Cpap machine has been bane of my sleep for almost a year, we are currently jumping thru hoops to get surgeries (y)

Edited by ditaloca

Husband....

still sucks as he has somehow managed to learn to snore while wearing the mask.

Ugh nothing to wake you up like a husband doing a darth vader snoring solo so loud the dogs are hiding out in the closet.

Also he likes the pull the hose out of the mask and fling it so you are woken up to a quick blast of air to yr face or whatever. Or a dog barking at the hose ( I don't blame them).

Cpap machine has been bane of my sleep for almost a year, we are currently jumping thru hoops to get surgeries (y)

Wow Ditaloca - it seems like you have a lot of experience....:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

My wife was kicking me when I started snoring, she got up and slept on the sofa. Last two weeks - I have been sleeping on the sofa, so she can get a good nights sleep....

Thanks guys for your input. The results of my sleep study show 79.2% OSA (obstructive sleep apnea). Stopped breathing 51 times in a 7 hour period. The Doctor said that was active, but normal. On the report = Snoring: Severe at times total 27 minutes....:shock:

It was cool they had a monitor connected to a TV camera, put in my ears, up my nose and down my throat. On the monitor - he showed and discussed it was normal as we get older our passages get narrower. He said surgery is not the best answer. Said I had curable Sleep Apnea, that could be correct if I started exercising. Honestly to last few years I have been slowing down, not running around as I used to.

As for the cash cow fad diagnosis - since insurance is paying, going for the full check and would pick up a CPAP machine. This coming weekend going back again, this time wearing a mask with forced air.

Edited by 2ndTimeAround

Said I had curable Sleep Apnea, that could be correct if I started exercising. Honestly to last few years I have been slowing down, not running around as I used to.
Exactly. When I discussed this with my cardiologist in Ohio (after I had lost 100 lbs excersizing) he said that the things in your neck and throat that make you snore and interupt your sleep are just like most other tissues in your body. They get weak and flabby and when they start to sag, the clog up your airways.

The whole story is I weighted 350, and they claimed I had sleep apnea. I had a mild heart attack. I got triple bypass. I went to cardio-rehab 3 times a week for 4 years....and dropped 100 pounds. building muscle along the way. (I could leg press 800 pounds). Today, after all the complications over the last two years, my exercise has realing dropped off, and I'm back up to 280, but I still don't snore. I've even got my lyric tenor voice back...

even got my lyric tenor voice back...

Thanks Willingtocope - wow 100 pound drop, thats huge!!!

The Doctor showed me a new device you put in your month that automatically (electronically) extends the lower jar when snoring starts. He said it would take longer to be approved by the insurance company...

So it looks like I'm getting a new pair of jogging shoes to save my marriage.....:mrgreen:

The CPAP machine is the most likely to work at the lowest cost with lowest risk of complications.

I've been on one for about 8 years.

This past weekend went back to the sleep study place, this time sleeping half the night with a full mask, then a other half of the night with a nose mask.

I personally didn't like either / or. The forced air was really dry, it got to the point it was painful to breath. Halfway through the night the technician filled some water into a container, saying something about the humidity.

Going back to them on Thursday to go over the results, also turning up the volume with exercising each day.....:)