FCRA - CA reinvestigation question

Leone

Does a CA have to go back and check the account with the OC/assignor when they get a CRA-dispute notice?

I tried to contact and track down the OC but everything I found points to their not being in business.

The CA verified the TL twice, so I'm just wondering if they have to do more than check their old paperwork.

They are a proper CA with clients to answer to, not a JDB who owns the account.

It's a very old account, due to fall off the reports in a few months. The paperwork they sent me is over 5 years old so I'm thinking they don't have a valid assignment anymore.

Short answer is "no". The account responsibility becomes severed when the account is sold.

This is a proper Collection agency, not purchaser of the alleged debt - it wasn't sold, but assigned. The CA doesn't own it, it doesn't purchase debts but serves local businesses.

Considering that, as assignee rather than junk debt buyer, might they have the requirement to confer with their client before verifying a TL to a credit reporting agency?