jq26

Facebook

I joined facebook on Saturday- two days ago. Its been like a tidal wave of people I haven't seen in at least a decade. Pretty cool. On the flipside, my efficiency has plummeted and is hovering just above 0. My friend summed it up well when he posted on my wall, "Finally you have joined us. Welcome to the biggest time-waster on the internet." I'm already seeing the love-hate. :D

I hooked up with face book last year, after one of my high school classmates emailed my a link.

In the last year have hooked up with 40 or so former friends from the class of 1980.

This summer planning our 30th reunion in Austin Texas.....:):)

Other than that - agree with you Jq26 - major time waster....:mrgreen:

I have one as well, but I don't make it a time waste - though I can see how it can turn into one - Farmville anyone? HA! I only check it when I get an alert or once every few months.

Don't let FB control you, noooooooo! :)

I would not recommend signing up for Facebook if you have a debt collector breathing down your neck and want to avoid them.

Collection firms routinely check Facebook and other well known sites in order to locate/harass debtors. On the other hand, the collector may be providing you with a nice, juicy FDCPA violation served up on a silver platter.

Debt Collectors Using Facebook To Keep Tabs On Debtors:

http://bankruptcy-law.freeadvice.com/collections/debt-collectors-use-facebook-to-keep-tabs-on-debtors.htm

Debt Collectors Using Cute Chicks On Facebook As Bait

http://consumerist.com/2009/05/debt-collectors-using-cute-chicks-on-facebook-as-bait.html

• Like 1

WOW! Can't even have an enjoyable time on the internet without the debt folks hunting you down! Thanks for the post!

Let's not forget the IRS. Happy St. Paddy's Day, BTW.

http://taxprof.typepad.com/taxprof_blog/2010/03/your-new-.html

« Drennan: Strict Liability and Tax Penalties | Main | Holcomb & Smith: The Post-Cuno Litigation Landscape »

March 17, 2010

Your New Facebook Friend: The IRS

Electronic Frontier Foundation, EFF Posts Documents Detailing Law Enforcement Collection of Data From Social Media Sites:

EFF has posted documents shedding light on how law enforcement agencies use social networking sites to gather information in investigations. The records, obtained from the IRS and DOJ Criminal Division, are the first in a series of documents that will be released through a FOIA case that EFF filed with the help of the UC Berkeley Samuelson Clinic.

One of the most interesting files is a 2009 training course that describes how IRS employees may use various Internet tools -- including social networking sites and Google Street View -- to investigate taxpayers.

The IRS should be commended for its detailed training that clearly prohibits employees from using deception or fake social networking accounts to obtain information. Its policies generally limit employees to using publicly available information. ...

The documents released by the IRS also include excerpts from the Internal Revenue Manual explaining that employees aren't allowed to use government computers to access social networking sites for personal communication, and cautioning them to be careful to avoid any appearance that they're speaking on behalf of the IRS when making personal use of social media.

Computer World, IRS, DOJ Use Social Media Sites to Track Deadbeats, Criminal Activity

PC Magazine, EFF Describes How Govt. Gets Info From Social Sites

PC World, Your Next Facebook 'Friend' Could be a Federal Agent

Web CPA, IRS Uses Social Networks for Tax Probes

Wired News, Undercover Feds on Social Networking Sites Raises Questions

ZDNet, The IRS and FBI Are Looking for You on Facebook

March 17, 2010 in IRS News, Tax | Permalink

• Like 1

Just adjust your privacy settings so only your friends and networks can see your Profile info. Mine are set so no one except people on my friends list can see my address and personal info.

Can they get your info from Farmville on facebook?

Would Farmville or any other Facebook applications sell it to them or how exactly does this work?(Getting your personal info.)

Great info Cincinnaticus & Goldbug!:p

Edited by Fairy Enchantress

Can they get your info from Farmville on facebook? Would Farmville or any other Facebook applications sell it to them or how exactly does this work?(Getting your personal info.) Great info Cincinnaticus & Goldbug!:p

Thanks for the compliment! I would think that the only information they could get would be that which is publically available on the site but I would check the terms of agreement regarding Facebook's policy on the sharing of personal information just to be safe. My understanding is that the collection agents target unsuspecting people under false pretenses, using a pseudonym, and coax the information they need via subterfuge (flattery, small talk, et cetera) directly from the debtor who doesn't realize the true nature of the inquiries until it's too late! Devils are they not?

Cincinnaticus

Some useful information pertaining to Facebook:

Everyday I receive an email from somebody about how their account was hacked, how a friend tagged them in the photo and they want a way to avoid it, as well as a number of other complications related to their privacy on Facebook. Over the weekend one individual contacted me to let me know that he would be removing me as a friend from Facebook because he was “going to make a shift with my Facebook use - going to just mostly family stuff.”

Perhaps he was tired of receiving my status updates or perhaps he didn’t want me to view photos from his personal life. Whatever the reason for ending our Facebook friendship, I figured that many people would benefit from a thorough overview on how to protect your privacy on Facebook.

Below is a step by step process for protecting your privacy:

http://www.allfacebook.com/2009/02/facebook-privacy/

I joined facebook on Saturday- two days ago. Its been like a tidal wave of people I haven't seen in at least a decade. ..

I joined Facebook on April 10, 2005 (almost five years already!!) and I have never looked back my MySpace since....

I would not recommend signing up for Facebook if you have a debt collector breathing down your neck and want to avoid them.

I once had someone send me a message asking me about what kind of cars I have. Unfortunately for this chump, he left his number in his profile. I Googled the number and it belonged to Mann-Bracken. His profile was deleted permanently one day later...after I reported him to FB staff for TOS violations. :twisted:

Can they get your info from Farmville on facebook?

Would Farmville or any other Facebook applications sell it to them or how exactly does this work?(Getting your personal info.)

Great info Cincinnaticus & Goldbug!:p

I don't know about selling your information, but I personally would like to develop a FB app called "FDCPA-ViolatorVille" or "Sue the Collector" where everyone can go after debt collectors and rack up serious cash and "level up" when we take them to court and wipe the floors with their butts! :lol:

Thanks for the link, Bigwoody! Watching them now, and laughing. Haven't watched SP in a while, will have to start again.

And oh yeah, FB is the evil that blocks anything from getting done. Love it.

I just thought I would ad this since some people worry about Facebook. (If you manage Facebook right. You should be okay.)

There's a site called Spokeo.com that's a new online phone book w/personal information: everything from pics you've posted on FB or web, your approx credit score, home value, income, age, etc. You can remove yourself by first searching for yourself on their site to find the URL of your page and going to the Privacy button on the bottom of their page to remove yourself.

3 Things To Never Post On Facebook

http://www.tcpalm.com/news/2010/may/06/three-things-never-post-facebook/?partner=yahoo_feeds

4 ways to manage your Facebook privacy

http://www.ky3.com/news/local/93011639.html

Facebook is the best. I have gotten in touch with so many people I haven't talked to in years. Of course, now I know why I haven't talked to some of them in years.

Of course, now I know why I haven't talked to some of them in years.
LOL!!! You hit the nail on the head. I made contact with my very good childhood friend who moved 1000 miles away last year after doing a 4 year stint in Gainesville state prison for armed robbery. He wants to come back to the area and stay with me for a few days. My wife is less than thrilled....

I have this thing called e-mail and another really weird thing that I can pick up and punch in a number, and then what happens is if the other person has one of these things and I punched in their number they pick it up. You can talk into it, and they can hear you, and they can talk to you back. It's pretty cool. I think it may catch on. The risk, though, is that you might actually have some verbal social interaction.

When I'm really bored, I transport my body in this device with 4 wheels and it takes me to a place where we've decided to meet (either through e-mail or that talking-device-thingie) and we actually are there next to each other eating and talking and watching a game and stuff like that. I admit, it's a bit crazy to think about.

Everyone else, well, I just send a Christmas letter once a year using this thing called the postal service. Because if that's all the more I care about you, I'm pretty sure that won't change by having a facebook page where you suddenly decide that you're my friend.

OMG, BWS - are you saying you actually go outside, risking sunlight on your skin, and actually SPEAK to people, looking right at their FACE? That sounds so... old-fashioned! I heard that people used to live like that.

...shudder....

(glad you know you have a life.) I hardly use the dreaded FB but I did join a group, "When I was your age, we didn't have Facebook, we had lives!"