funnyandnice

State Tax Liens From 1995

Hi there,

I was just checking to see where i stand today for a mortgage when they ran my credit and saw these tax liens on there from 1995 and 1996. funny thing is i never saw them whn i had pulled my credit report in the past. so now my question is... is there anything i can do to get rid of these? Can i settle with the state? i am in missouri.

Thanks in advance,

Chris

You would need to contact the state taxation of where your liens were placed. :cool: Usually the only way to have them removed is to pay them. :( When you do contact them, ask if there is a payment plan you can arrange with them and once completed, have the liens removed from your credit report.;) I was successful in doing this when my employer inadvertently changed my deductions from 1 to 21!:evil: It was their error but the state a lien on me for the underpayment. :| Once I sent them a letter showing no fault error on my part, they made arrangements for me to pay them and removed it from my report!:yahoo:

When you pay, ask if they will dismiss the liens instead of list them satisfied or released.

The mortgage company will require these be paid before approval of mortgage loan if possible.

Thanks, here's the crazy thing, i am already on a payment plan with them for last years back taxes and actually its been 2 years in a row and they never have said anything about these 1995 taxes. i know on federal, there is a 10 year limitation on collection so is there a same thing on state? and if so, i guess collecting and removing a lien are 2 different things.

You know that is a funny thing, for all purposes the credit reporting agencies and the federal trade commission stand by the position that liens have no statute of limitations. These can be reported indefinitely as long as the lien is unpaid. Once paid they are allowed 7 additional years of reporting from the release date.

BUT there have been cases of consumers coming forward with releases due to expiration - so I think it is state by state how this comes about. The best thing is if you call that particular court house and ask them what applies for your area.

Yeah, that is like one hand not knowing what the other hand is doing. Crazy sometimes that they could not have pulled that all up at once to see what was relevant.