jewel1325

Court Experience

I know we have quite a few seasoned pro pers on this board. Would you please share your court experience. It would really help me and others mentally prepare for our day in court.

1. Did you make opening and closing statements?

2. Did the JDB attorney or rent a lawyer interrogate you?

3. Did you object to any of their questions, and on what grounds?

4. What kind of questions did they ask you, and how did you answer?

5. Can they ask you your social security #?

6. What questions are out of line?

7. Did you question any witness, if so, what did you ask?

8. Did they try to settle with you right before the trial started?

9. Did they try to intimidate you?

Thanks everyone! Any light you can shed on the process is appreciated.:)

Hey I just had my day in court so I'll answer the best I can...

1. Did you make opening and closing statements?

The judge asked if we wanted to make opening statements or get right to it. The plaintiff took the time to make an opening statement and then just jumped right in to presenting evidence. Where I objected and we went from there...

2. Did the JDB attorney or rent a lawyer interrogate you?

The JDB attorney was based hundreds of miles away. A local "rent a lawyer" did call me as a witness and question me.

3. Did you object to any of their questions, and on what grounds?

I tried to object to a couple questions as his questions were based on papers that I didn't know the validity of. Judge said I could answer the question as I saw fit but he could still ask them.

4. What kind of questions did they ask you, and how did you answer?

Asked if I ever had a card with the OC. Was it a <insert specific type of card>. Did I ever live at the address printed on the statements, Did I receive statements for the card at the address. He went down the charges on the copy of statements they had and asked if I ever charged at those places on the card. Did the copy of the cardholder agreement they had look familiar. Did the copy of the affidavit of sale they had show that the JDB bought my debt (I thought this funny, trying to get me to authenticate a bill of sale between OC and JDB). They showed the batch list of accounts (with everyone else's except mine XX'd out) and asked if my name was on there and was there a CC# listed there and was that my CC#.

I admitted some questions like I did have *a* card with OC before. I did live at the address before. But most of them I didn't remember and said as such. The questions were based on copies of statements and agreements I had either never seen or didn't know if they were real, so how could I know if any information on them was true. Plus my dealings with the card I did have were from like 5+ years ago, I don't remember much about that card!

5. Can they ask you your social security #?

I don't know about this. They didn't ask me, but none of the "evidence" they had included my SS# so asking would have been pointless for them.

6. What questions are out of line?

I don't know about this either. As I said before I tried to object a few times but my objections were never sustained (during the questioning).

7. Did you question any witness, if so, what did you ask?

No. I did make a statement when he finished questioning me. Basically restating my recollection during the questioning. Basically, that I agreed to having *a* card but did not agree to the this account.

8. Did they try to settle with you right before the trial started?

I actually tried to settle with them right before the trial. He refused saying they made an offer a year and a half ago "that I agreed to but never paid" and now I wanted to settle on my terms.

9. Did they try to intimidate you?

When I made my settlement offer before the trial he basically tried to state as fact they were going to get a judgment on me and I could figure out how to deal with it.

One thing to note. If they submit ANYTHING that claims it is "pursuant to" any Code/Law/Statue, you better be reviewing that Code/Law/Statue to make sure they are not violating it! Of course you should be looking into any law that you think plays a part in your case, but make double sure anything they claim as adhering to some law, that it really does. I almost overlooked this myself!