bs437

i got screwed

so here is the situation, a couple months ago i moved to an apt, at that time my credit score was in the 720's, i got charter phone internet and cable for the apt. the tech came to hook everything up, i had a check for the activation fee ready and waiting for him.. on his fancy hand held thing it didn't say anything about him taking money from us so he didn't. i voided out the check and expected it to be on my next bill... bill came it wasn't there, in the same mail i received a collections letter for the amount i already had a check written out for, i immediately paid the amount in full. i recently applied for a personal loan for a toy i want (harley) the bank called and said my credit score was in the 500's because of this collection letter so they couldn't give me the loan. the lady i spoke with was looking at my credit history and everything else on it looked great. i am not rich by any means but am not hurting for money at the same time so i have no reason to be late or miss any payments. i called charter and they said once it goes to collections they have nothing to do with it, i called the collection agency and tried like hell but coulnd't reach a real person to explain my situation. one of the automated messages said once the payment is received it could take a couple weeks for it to reflect on my credit history. my question; will that reflection do away with my 500 score and take me back in the 720's where i was? what can i do about this right now? any help is much appreciated.

I'm confused?!

They continued your service AND sent you a regular monthly bill, even though they had you in collections?

When you received the collection notice why didn't you just call charter? Your account, from what I understand, was still active so why wouldn't they speak to you about a past due installation charge?

Also, it doesn't appear to be even 30 days between the time you get the notice, make the payment, AND find out it's on your report. Usually you have 30 days to dispute the validity of the debt before they report it. If the payment hasn't processed because they haven't even received it yet then it couldn't possibly have been 30 days. When did they report it to the bureaus? Maybe I'm missing something, but it's all really confusing. Can you provide some dates? That may help clear some things up.

I've had collections on top of collections reported, before I started acting "credit responsible" ;-) and I don't think I've ever seen a collection cause a 220 point loss. Something else must be going on and I suggest you get a copy of your report. I would also suggest that you file a BBB complaint against charter. If what you say is accurate then it is utterly ridiculous that they sent you to collection for an account that remained active and connected.

Also, it is highly unlikely that you will receive back the majority of the points you lost. Updating a collection to paid doesn't change it's effect on your report. It's still an account that wasn't paid and allowed to go into collections. The only way to recover a good chunk of the points would be to have it removed all together.

Right on Swt, and there are several ways you can do this, most effective if you haven't missed your 30 day VoD window.

VoD and FDCPA dispute to CA. CMRRR.

Day later, Dispute FCRA 611 with CRAs, CMRRR

Day later, Dispute FCRA 623 with CA/Data Furnisher.

Play the waiting game for the CRAs to verify.

If CRA verifies before validation, communication under FDCPA, Cause of Action (CoA)

If CRA verifies after validation, FCRA ReDispute, and Request method of investigation.

At the same time, Request method of Investigation with CA/DF under 623

It becomes paper overload. CA is like "You want us to validate the debt, you dispute it, you want us to investigate our credit reporting, and you want us to tell you how we investigated it?"

A lot of times, you'll either have an FCRA or FDCPA CoA, which gives you leverage to get the account off the credit report altogether. one such FCRA violation is that they don't mark the item as "disputed." It becomes inaccurate reporting. Or they may not respond to your request for investigation, or method of investigation. Or they may not validate and try to collect again. The more you give them to do at the same time, the more likely they are to mess up one of the steps along the way.

And you also have the CRAs that you can threaten suit with as well, especially if they don't comply with 611. They may opt to remove the tradeline for you to avoid litigation.

so here is the situation, a couple months ago i moved to an apt, at that time my credit score was in the 720's, i got charter phone internet and cable for the apt. the tech came to hook everything up, i had a check for the activation fee ready and waiting for him.. on his fancy hand held thing it didn't say anything about him taking money from us so he didn't. i voided out the check and expected it to be on my next bill... bill came it wasn't there, in the same mail i received a collections letter for the amount i already had a check written out for, i immediately paid the amount in full. i recently applied for a personal loan for a toy i want (harley) the bank called and said my credit score was in the 500's because of this collection letter so they couldn't give me the loan. the lady i spoke with was looking at my credit history and everything else on it looked great. i am not rich by any means but am not hurting for money at the same time so i have no reason to be late or miss any payments. i called charter and they said once it goes to collections they have nothing to do with it, i called the collection agency and tried like hell but coulnd't reach a real person to explain my situation. one of the automated messages said once the payment is received it could take a couple weeks for it to reflect on my credit history. my question; will that reflection do away with my 500 score and take me back in the 720's where i was? what can i do about this right now? any help is much appreciated.

okay, I am not sure if that only one collection took you back to 500 from 720...It seems unreleastic, but it could. A collection account on your CR hurts the same whether you paid it or not, to my understanding. So, but its good that you paid it now you can dispute it over and over and there is a chance that the collection agency might not response thus deletion. Or, you can try doing the GW.

As everyone pointed out it is highly unlikely that one collection did that much damage to your score. It is however possible that they are reporting the same collection more than once.

With that said, if I were you, I would be sending a letter off to the CEO of the company. It is very likely that you will get it sorted. Search on here for some goodwill letter and explain your case. If what you say is correct, the matter should be easily resolved. Do you still have service with them?

you can try this email address

Charter Communications

Neil Smit, CEO

neil.smit@chartercom.com