nrgins

Collection Agency No Caller ID

I received a call this morning from someone asking for my husband, then asked if I was his spouse, then they asked me to please hold. I held for two minutes and then hung up. When I searched the number it brought up a lot of entries on Google from people saying that it was a scam and people trying to get personal info. We have an unlisted number and do not use the voice mail with the phone number. We have a message on the phone stating that if you leave a message it will not be heard. We both use our cell phones only.

I have since disconnected the voice mail and have researched blocking and tracing numbers. I have also gone through the caller id on the phone and we have numerous numbers that do not have an id and when I look them up seem to be connected to identity theft and two connected to old credit cards past the SOL. We do have one credit card in collections.

My question is if I block all of these numbers is that legal and o.k. or is it going to make the situation worse? No one has left a message saying where they are calling from or who they are representing. I was also wondering about the trace feature and filing a police report. I was taught not to involve the police unless it was an emergency, but I have also had identity theft problems and do not want to go through that again either.

Any advice would be appreciated. If I could get more info about who was calling us I would send letters.

**UPDATE**

So, after them not calling me for a few days, maybe a week, they started calling again. Same thing, no message. Sometimes I'd get the automated "please hold" in the message, with someone picking up and saying, "Hello? Hello?" But never leaving me a message to call them or identifying themselves in any way.

A couple of days ago, they started calling me like 5 times a day. I just ignored them.

Then, today, after calling me five times today, they finally left a message.

Person identified herself as Dana Rivera calling from "attorney Lawrence Hecker's office." Phone number (800) 355-0123. Said they got my case Feb. 16. The number was still listed as "Private Number" though.

Anyway, doing a search on the number, I see a lot of people complaining about this lawfirm, saying they refused to give their mailing address, but insisted on the person giving their bank acct info instead; of trying to collect on a debt that was already paid; etc.

Anyway, if anyone's heard of them let me know. I'm just going to keep ignoring their calls. If they don't sue me, then it ain't a lawsuit. :-)

Oh wow. Just found this in this forum about that attorney: http://www.debt-consolidation-credit-repair-service.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-271806.html

These people are low-life scum - worse than your average JDB! (Should've known from the way they don't disclose their phone number.)

That poor woman in that thread!

And here's a lawsuit brought against that CA for violations - asking for $150,000. http://www.pennlawyer.com/hecker.pdf The allegations in that lawsuit show what kind of lowlife scum that firm is.

Edited by nrgins

I would imagine getting a notary to do that would cost, what, about $25 or more? Seems like a lot of money just to get them to stop calling (if you multiply it by many CAs). Seems that recording the call would be easier and more cost-effective. (Or are you disagreeing that a recorded call holds legal water?)

actually, my town clerk's office offers a free notary service...don't know if its the same everywhere but its worth looking in to.

actually, my town clerk's office offers a free notary service...don't know if its the same everywhere but its worth looking in to.

Good to know! Thanks!

I read something about how to make money off the collection agencies. If I get a chance I'll look for it and put it up. Some states you can't record the call, but all these agencies record their own for quality control, so if you can type reall fast you can sue them no matter wgere you live.

I read something about how to make money off the collection agencies. If I get a chance I'll look for it and put it up. Some states you can't record the call, but all these agencies record their own for quality control, so if you can type reall fast you can sue them no matter wgere you live.

Yes, Texas allows you to record calls if you're on the call. And I have Google Voice, which allows you to record calls made or received through it.

At this point, I'm not going to bother with it. But if they persist more than a few more months, then I might.

Thanks!

**UPDATE 2**

Since the CA left me their name the other day, I was able to match it to a letter I received from them about a month ago. They are calling about a debt that went out of statute on Feb. 1.

Interesting that the woman said they received the debt on Feb. 16. So I take it that this sleezeball Lawrence Hecker only takes debts that are too old to be sued on, and they try to harass and threaten people into paying.

The letter from said sleezeball said he's a lawyer licensed to practice law in the state of NJ. I guess most people would be intimidated by that, not realizing that he can't file a suit in their home state, nor that the debt is already out of statute.

So, anyway, as I just posted, I'm just going to ignore this for a few more months. If they won't let up, then I'll get them on the phone and have them threaten to sue me, or garnish my wages, or threaten me in other ways and build up a case against them. Right now it's not worth my while. But we shall see....