admin

Poll: Are Potential Employers Pulling Your Credit?

In the last year, as part of the job application process, has your credit pulled  

29 members have voted

1. 1. In the last year, as part of the job application process, has your credit pulled

• Yes
    • No
    • If they did, I didn't know about it
    • What job application?

Just wanted to know if anyone out there in the job-searching world has been subjected to a credit check as a condition of employment?

New job in 2004, they did, public university.

New job in 2005, they didn't, private sector, IT shop.

New job in 2008, they did, private sector, bank.

I interviewed for a job back circa 2002 with the Evil One, Capone. They wanted to pull CRs just to interview for a contract gig. I was desperate to get outta the poop hole I was in, so I agreed. Didn't get the job and wasn't all that sad, given what I've since heard about Capone work conditions.

Yes, in 2007, private sector, retail position. That was before my credit/debt situation went down the toilet, but was heading there, a lot of debt, with CLs being cut, but no delinquencies. Got the job, don't know if the credit report made a difference. However, talking to co-workers, some of them had debt problems, so maybe the employer didn't care. But then, why pull the CR?

I've had the same job for fifteen years so it has not been an issue or threat with or to me, but I personally think it is out of line for potential employers to be doing this. The whole argument that having a good credit score is some indication of a good worker and vice versa is one that these credit card companies would want people to believe, but I don't think it comes close to applying in many cases.

If this practice does not prevent one from bettering their situation after a bad period in their life financially, then I don't know what does. Is that a society that young men and women should be dying to defend, one that if you have a debt that you default on that you can only work at McDonald's the rest of your life.

I don't knock those that care about their credit score, there is just something kinda disheartening about where this has all lead to, people fretting over so much working so hard to try to please these agencies. And what is the pay off, you have good credit so you get the reward of paying interest, giving the money changers money for nothing.

I say save up your money for what you want or need and don't participate in the poisonous system of usury, i.e. the money loan, but that is just me...lol

The fact that these credit card companies and others who contribute nothing of value to the society through making the money loan (usurers) can have any say in a persons attempt to get a job with a third party entity is just a sign of how much control the money changers have on our society. Yeah they don't have debt prisons like they used to in ages past -- yet.

The only aspects of a credit report that any potential employer should have access to is those of its own record with that person, I have no problem with Bank A or Credit card company B not offering a job to someone who defaulted on a loan or card with them, but they should not be able to have anything to do with one's dealings with a separate company/entity.

By the way, I like this poll page, is this new???

Looks like a spammer pulled this thread out of storage.

I'm glad they did it because it is a very important topic. Every employer that has ever hired me has pulled my credit and that goes back several years. Cleaning up my CR for future employment and insurance is one the main reasons I am here. I have a long way to go, but thanks to CIC I am half way there!

There is a new trend now that when someone meets a person they would like to date, they ask for their CR before getting involved. Guess they're afraid they'll end up with the lover's bad debts.

I know Apt Mgrs will pull reports to check your debt background.

This is very unfair because it cannot show what the actual problems are and why you ended up with a poor score in the first place.

In my case, (see Huyndai Horror)I signed a lease for my ex-BF and his business partner and they were very late many times with the car payements, plus my ex got 4 DUI's and got the car repo'd. All that's on my CR and nothing I can do about it. My stupid name is on the lease, not his.

I know what my score is and I can't move, get married again or get a loan if this is the only consideration.

I don't know how this happened but now your credit score effectively controls your life.

My employer has a 3rd party company do background checks and credit pulls during the courting process. And because of that, one of my bureaus lists my employer now!! arrghhh  :mad:

Just wanted to know if anyone out there in the job-searching world has been subjected to a credit check as a condition of employment?

Yup I have had to sign off on it just to get considered. I don't understand how this has anything to do with me as an employee. I'm positive it is the reason numerous times I did not get a job. Although I'm sure there is no way to prove it.

For those of you who said employers were pulling your credit, did you have to give them permission to do so in writing?  Or, are they just pulling them without your knowledge?

My wife got a retail seasonal job about 2 years ago and they did a SP, her credit is poor or worst at the time, she got hired anyways. I believe they look for court records only, at least on this case. She works for the county public schools now, and they did not pull her credit, but she got to do a background check with fingerprints etc. so maybe that's why. Also it's possible that other jobs look at your credit more in the way of a Leander does. Now it's ridiculous that if your credit is poor cause you got a bad time, say 5 medical collections, and 2 CO/and or JDB's in there for example, your job position will be denied, it's obvious in that case that you got sick couldn't make the required payments and your credit got screw, it does not mean that you are an irresponsible person it only means you got a big issue some time ago.  

When I moved into my apartment and when I entered my current employment, they ran a background check but not a credit report. Ironically I work for a financial consulting office, and I had bad credit (thanks to student loans and being dumb with money when I was 18!) Thanks to working here I've gained an entire education on credit and have been able to utilize it to repair and rebuild mine. I think that credit report can be a judge of character, but it shouldn't define someone entirely for whether or not they are capable of performing a job.

How can a credit report judge anyones character...espescially in the recession we have been in

Unfortunately, just one more trait to weed out the massive pool of applicants.

Unfortunately, just one more trait to weed out the massive pool of applicants.

Except they don't pull credit unless they are ready to make an offer.  The pool has already been "weeded" through.  It is not cost effective to do a credit pull on EVERY applicant.  No employer does that.  Same with background checks.  

You weed out those you are not even considering first.  Then do an initial screening.  Then interviews.  When you have it down to 3 candidates then background and credit checks are done if needed.

Summer 2001 - Four different potential employers from private sector - Yes

Fall 2001 - State Government  Agency - No

I'm currently working as a consultant with a major company that is involved with DOD; I know they did an extensive BG check on me but if they did a credit pull it never showed up on any of my reports!

http://www.state.gov/m/ds/clearances/60321.htm

Check section F. #20

You might also get a break if you are a consultant instead of an employee of a DOD contractor.

Why shoudl I want it ot be

I don't hope that it does.

A credit record is a reflection of how well (or not well) a person has handled his/her financial life and arguably, a reflection of how we handle life in general. I woudl agree that a credit report may not be necessary or useful for every single type of job out there but if the job carries some responsibility (especially any financial responsibility) it certainly is useful and appropriate.

Why shoudl I want it ot be

I don't hope that it does.

A credit record is a reflection of how well (or not well) a person has handled his/her financial life and arguably, a reflection of how we handle life in general. I woudl agree that a credit report may not be necessary or useful for every single type of job out there but if the job carries some responsibility (especially any financial responsibility) it certainly is useful and appropriate.

I agree with you to a certain extent, but every situation is different. I lost all income in 2009 and being a contractor I didn't even qualify for unemployment insurance. Before this time I could pick up the phone and get a job without any trouble. In my area for about two years it was almost impossible to find a minimum wage entry level job. I ended up doing odd jobs like I used to do as a teenager, but with that income my savings disappeared very quickly.  

Fast forward a couple of years when companies started hiring and I was denied employment because of my past problems. You are never going to be told that is the reason, but when you make the final interview and pass the drug test it is pretty clear what is going on. In the situation of working for a government contractor you have the possible exemption like in #20 in the link above. Unfortunately that is not always the case in the private sector. 

Fortunately Tennessee passed a law last year that restricts some of this activity, but it still has a ton of exemptions. I understand some people are completely reckless, but when the great recession hit it effected many who have never and will probably never be in a bad situation again. I have partially recovered income/job wise since 2009. The problem is my credit report will not reflect this for another couple of years and it will take me another 10-15 years just to get back to where I was in 2008. I take responsibility for my situation, but the way the banks, collectors and potential employers reacted made a difficult situation almost impossible. 

• Like 1

I agree with you to a certain extent, but every situation is different. I lost all income in 2009 and being a contractor I didn't even qualify for unemployment insurance. Before this time I could pick up the phone and get a job without any trouble. In my area for about two years it was almost impossible to find a minimum wage entry level job. I ended up doing odd jobs like I used to do as a teenager, but with that income my savings disappeared very quickly.  

Fast forward a couple of years when companies started hiring and I was denied employment because of my past problems. You are never going to be told that is the reason, but when you make the final interview and pass the drug test it is pretty clear what is going on. In the situation of working for a government contractor you have the possible exemption like in #20 in the link above. Unfortunately that is not always the case in the private sector. 

Fortunately Tennessee passed a law last year that restricts some of this activity, but it still has a ton of exemptions. I understand some people are completely reckless, but when the great recession hit it effected many who have never and will probably never be in a bad situation again. I have partially recovered income/job wise since 2009. The problem is my credit report will not reflect this for another couple of years and it will take me another 10-15 years just to get back to where I was in 2008. I take responsibility for my situation, but the way the banks, collectors and potential employers reacted made a difficult situation almost impossible. 

I suppose for me if I'm being recruited by an employer and they are going to make a decision based only on a credit bureau report without taking anything into consideration I doubt I'd want to work for such an organization and if they are going to use a CR in their employment process they ought to be able to tell the difference between a deadbeat who has been irresponsible and someone who simply had life happen to them that put them in a bad financial situation.

A bureau report shouldn't be anything other than a tool in the hiring process; no more/less important than any other...if a potential employer isn't willing to look at the whole picture than they probably aren't going to be a very good employer; at least that's how I view it.

• Like 1

I myself would be FAR more concerned about an employer doing the Google/Yahoo search thing on those applying for a position than a credit check. Bad credit can be corrected over time but an online anonymous posting that was made about you from 1999 regardless if it's true or not that is still available online can do a LOT of damage.

• Like 1

I myself would be FAR more concerned about an employer doing the Google/Yahoo search thing on those applying for a position than a credit check. Bad credit can be corrected over time but an online anonymous posting that was made about you from 1999 regardless if it's true or not that is still available online can do a LOT of damage.

Yeah...what people might post about you can be a real problem. However, what many people post about themselves voluntarily can be a much bigger problem once you start looking for a job!