Chapel Hill

Chase Verified Complaints

Has anyone else noticed that JP Morgan Chase Bank uses the same individual to sign their hundreds of weekly collection actions here in California? I suspect this is their practice throughout the United States because the signer is headquartered in San Antonio, Texas.

Chase has what looks to be a 4 person legal team out of downtown LA. Two guys who appear to have been practicing law for a while sign the complaints and I suspect the newly licensed folks actually draft the form docs. The complaints are all the friggin same. However their pleading do appear fairly tight.

I haven't looked at the dispositions but given their coming in this way I'd be concerned. In this situation I might try arbitration provided my contract called for Chase to pick up the tab. That is unless my research shows that as hard and they came in their initial pleading if they didn't close the deal, ie win at trial then my business decision would be to try the case before a jury unless the judge was very no non-sense.

Can anyone speak to being sued on business or personal accounts by Chase in the last 8 months? Were their trial counsel well prepared? Did the Chase team prosecute their case in a strong competent manner? Were any weaknesses evident?

Chapel I have a suit going with Chase over $10K, they started out with the LA Group, then did a substitution of Attorney to a guy out of West Lake Village to handle the rest of litigation. I filed motion to compel arbitration, they answered but decided for $10K, I better get some help. Went with the Attorney from San Diego, you mentioned in another post. He didn't want the arbitration route, so we pulled the motion and now he is in charge.

You are right the affidavit is signed out to San Antonio, check the title of the signer and then do a search of that person. Title is overstated on mine (Assitant Treasurer) vs. what this guy says he does no his Facebook page.

Their in-house team seems really competent. Why would they have farmed out the work to the guy you're in trial with now? With strong competent counsel like ole boy you don't need arbitration. You want a straight up or down finding of fact. Your guy may win so the case is done. I say may because if any of these tools have tight docs it's probably Chase. They may also have wits to appear at trial. I just don't know.

So please make period reports to the extent you feel comfortable. To be quite honest I would be concerned about Chase. My best defenses don't all easily into a suit with Chase. If need be I'll make do but I'd prefer not, hence the consideration for arbitration with Chase and only Chase. I only have the one other exposure and I think my defense would be solid. Chase is the wild card.

So the guy's face book page says he's what? You can mention it to your guy. Don't think he cares. I sure he has a legal theory. Basically, in discovery he's going to find out exactly what evidence they have and act accordingly.

Some days I think about engaging Chase before they engage me. My better judgment tells me to let sleeping dogs be. Only respond if attacked. To that end I have my motions and opposition motions typed and ready. I'd follow the process and hope to bloody them up enough that the just say screw it and dismiss. A Chase dismissal I'll even take without prejudice. If in-house dismisses and any holder in due course comes along to sue me later, their a$$ I would kick at trial.

Please post events as you are comfortable.

Chapel I have a suit going with Chase over $10K, they started out with the LA Group, then did a substitution of Attorney to a guy out of West Lake Village to handle the rest of litigation. I filed motion to compel arbitration, they answered but decided for $10K, I better get some help. Went with the Attorney from San Diego, you mentioned in another post. He didn't want the arbitration route, so we pulled the motion and now he is in charge.

You are right the affidavit is signed out to San Antonio, check the title of the signer and then do a search of that person. Title is overstated on mine (Assitant Treasurer) vs. what this guy says he does no his Facebook page.

Here is the answer regarding the affidavit I have signed by (intials) SL title Assitant Treasurer. When you look this guy up on Linkedin he says he is a Businiss Analyst II, on his personal information.

I would think for an affidavit if the guys says he is an Assitant Treasurer on the Affidavit, and if that were not accurate and could be proven via his personal information posted on a web site. Then how accurate is his affidavit on other issues.....

Here is the answer regarding the affidavit I have signed by (intials) SL title Assitant Treasurer. When you look this guy up on Linkedin he says he is a Businiss Analyst II, on his personal information.

I would think for an affidavit if the guys says he is an Assitant Treasurer on the Affidavit, and if that were not accurate and could be proven via his personal information posted on a web site. Then how accurate is his affidavit on other issues.....

Facebook is not likely to be proof in court. Subpoena the guy and see if he is willing to perjur himself.

You might call his office and tell them you need to send a letter to him, and need his title and mailing address. Record the call. Don't call from the phone number Chase has on file for you.

Have someone else send him a letter, asking a question about an unrelated matter. Name and address can't be connected to you. See if he replied with a letter showing his title.

Edited by jkg3

Usually if someone puts up a competent defense they can get out of a judgment with these guys. They file hundreds if not thousands of suits a week all around the country.

Subpoena and or Notice to Appear for that employee is the best way to go because they likely won't show, or they'll try to show up by phone.

I am suprised by the moral high ground many are taking, I continue to read how no one plays fair in debt collection, yet a simple search of an affiant/declerant on the web caused this morallity. I have used this in all suits I have been defending so I can try to figure out who the players really are.

Here is one example of how it could be used. MSJ you need to create a triable issue of fact. Declerant states he is Assitant Treasurer and Officer of Plaintiff Chase, blah, blah ,blah.

Defendent submitts to court the Plaintiffs declerant may not be an Assistant Treasurer and Officer per his professional job description posted to the world on the popular business site Linkdin, date X/XX/2010, where he states he is a Business Analyst. Plaintiff Declerant is either an Assitant Treasurer and Officer or he is a Business Analyst, not both. He is decieving someone either this court or anyone who reviews his informaiton on the public site Linkdin.

With a handful of these and along with other inconsitencies you could defeat MSJ and get to trial.

I maybe wrong but as Pro Se we have a hard time spending enough time to beat them with law citations that all information you can find about the folks involved in your case is crucial to getting a leg up.

I am with Rikkivs, the web is open to all and information should be reviewed at the very least to see if there is something you can use to defend yourself.

I read the pleadings of the Chase in-house counsel filed last week in 4 different courthouse locations in my county. I haven't seen any as tight by any other set of individuals filing collection suits. My county doesn't have a search capacity that would have allowed me to view cases that have been disposed of so I can't tell you how many cases Chase wins.

Does anyone have any idea specifically how many cases Chase wins in their county?

With regard to using linked or facebook to find out information about any SOB associated with a lawsuit filed against you. You'd be a damn fool to not make the best use of any and all available information. Make no mistake about it. Litigation is war. Someone will get their a$$ kicked. It is your choice where you want to be.

If you're not capable of making a congent arguement in open court that inconsistencies exist in cross-defendants representations to the court then maybe you should be beaten at trial and have your assets seized by the title exaggerating jerk offs who sued you.

CP, you have given a lot of good advice but try not to be so hard on posters. For many of us, the anxiety as well as the questions about our personal morality are overwhelming. I believe your statements are true; that it is a war and without going over the deep end, it makes sense to exploit PUBLICLY filed information and online counts. On the other hand, for a person to question this approach does not make them weak or deserving of harsh admonitions.

We all have different lines we've drawn and will not cross. Perhaps this presents an ethical quandry for the poster, let's try to support them.

I don't share some of your beliefs as it relates to what is appropriate treatment of anyone who would seek to take my hard earned assets. This is a thinking man's world. Those that exercise they creative intellectual capacity will usually trump those who chose to go with the flow or not push to the limit the systems in place in this country. New law is made because some have the character to pursue where others would fail.

I don't mean that the debt attorney's are decent people more or less, I'm saying that the OP who you chastised might think your suggestions breach his or her personal ethics. That's it. I actually agree that we ought to use any tool necessary to expose these fraudsters!

Guest usctrojanalum
They don't care about privacy! They use MySpace and Facebook to track down debtors and criminals and this is truly from the mouth of the IRS and FBI.

Looking up an affiant from an OC is not the same thing as looking up someone who is a criminal or a collection agency... DUCY?

Chase sued me last summer so I settled with them out of court. About a month later I got a notice that they had gotten the jugment against me anyway. Maybe just to spite me I don'tknow. Their case was really tight, which is why i didn't feel like I had room to fight it and chose to settle. I'm declaring BK this year anyhow so it doesn't matter.

I appreciate the talk of keeping a moral high ground. Honest people get into trouble and should stay honest. But remember, the criminal/civil justice system is an adversarial system designed for winning and loosing. The rules allow you to win or loose. Use the rules to do whatever it takes to win. Can I pay congressmen to change tax law and consumer protection law in my favor? Chase can.

When the card companies raised their interest rates late last year, I made every customer service representative pay for the sins of their company. The "the cost of doing business has gone up" line didn't fly with me. I hope you win, buddy. As long as you play by the rules, win.

Look up the affiant any way you can. They are perpetrating a fraud every time they sign an affidavit that they don't personally have knowledge of.

Expose them all, I say!!

I'm have a hearing coming up (not chase) where this exact thing is going to be an issue.