ADSOFT

California Superior: Local Court Rules and Trial Dates

I saw somewhere(but I can't find it anymore) that Los Angeles Superior issues a trail date as soon as the defendent answers the complaint. But others Counties don't issue a trial date at that time.

Do some counties issue trial dates as soon as the defendent responds? If so, can someone post a link where that is stated.

I'm going to use this in my defense of my case.

Well, this isn't what you want, but sometimes even negative information is better than none, so here goes. (And did you really mean "trial date", or the date of the first conference?)

From the Alameda County Superior Court Local Rules:

Chapter 2. Limited and Unlimited Civil Cases

Rule 3.170. Case management

(a) Case management conference

An initial case management conference will be scheduled approximately

150 days after filing of the complaint.

Now, in my own case, the date of the intial conference was about 4.5 months after the lawsuit was filed. I was notified of the date about 3 months after the lawsuit was filed, i.e., about 6 weeks ahead of time.

Regards,

DH

Im in so cal.

had a lawsuit filed about 1 year ago....

from the time I answered..... it was 8 months until Case management Confrence

Case was dismissed soon after I filed answer.

They had nothing.... and they knew it

In my county.... the courts are very overwhelmed

Look at local Rule 7.9

Thanks Calawyer,

I vaugley recall that LA SUPERIOR assigns a Trial date once the defendent answers, but I couldn't find it.

Why do different counties have different local rules, I would think that all superior courts of California would have the same rules?

... I did find some websites that say even experienced litigators could get tangled by local rules of different counties.

Reason I ask is becuase I was in a lawsuit in a different county and thought the procedure was the same in all counties, now I have to use that as an agruement as to why I got tripped up in my present cases(i.e, was expecting same procedure as other county).

Why do different counties have different local rules, I would think that all superior courts of California would have the same rules?

So litigants have to hire lawyers instead of doing it pro se :)

Seriously, every Court has their own rules (just like every state has different rules) so they can try to run their courts efficiently and experiment with different ways of managing cases. When some bright idea is proven to be successful, it can be adopted at the state level.

Have you guys given any thought to the number of FTE who will be let go in the 10-11 Fiscal Year and how that will impact trial calendars? I in the bay area. I don't know any County Superior Court that isn't slated to lay off at least 100 FTEs on top of cutting vacant but funded positions.

The rumble here is LA has this huge surplus slotted for the failed Case Management System project and a very substantial amount in their capital improvement fund for the retro fit projects. The issue is how can you justify spending 10s of millions to build or maintain courthouses when you're laying off 100s. More to the point if LA Superior Court returned some of that money to the AOC ie the GF then those funds could be redistributed thereby lessing the need to lay off employees.