Freddy01

(FL) Wages Garnish Question

If you have multiple judgements against you can each creditor garnish your wages?

State of Florida

Thanks!

No only 1 judgement at a time but once you paid off 1 judgement I would assume the next one would come into play and so on. If you have multiple judgements against you it may be better to just file BK IMO.

If you have multiple judgements against you can each creditor garnish your wages?

State of Florida

Thanks!

That depends on your income and your household status, i.e., whether you're "head of household."

That depends on your income and your household status, i.e., whether you're "head of household."

I have to open cases going right now -

One is solely mine - which I tend to fight pretty hard b/c their wasn't any agreement or statements attached to the summons.

The second is both mine and my husband's. The orginal contract was attached to the summons but I sent the DV to the attorney and they still filed suit a couple of days after they received my DV request. And per their inital letter if I request DV they will hold off legal proceeding until DV has been issued by them.

Well I never received DV from them- only the summons. So I'm hoping I can do something with that one too. But.....

I thought I just recently read on here that someone has 2 garnishments against them?

I am head of household so I will be able to protect my wages. My husband would not be.

Currently the 2 cases we have going only one is in both names.

Read your state code on garnishments. In Iowa there is a set formula as to how much percentage per income bracket and a total dollar amount per year for each judgement. There is also a ten day window that you can protest if taking the garnisment will leave you not able to keep body and soul together. Each state is different I expect. Code of Iowa is online so your states probably is as well.