admin

Some actual hard numbers about aribitration - and they're good!

From the Exective Summary, "Consumers won some relief in 53.3% of the cases they filed and recovered an average of $19,255; business claimants won some relief in 83.6% of their cases and recovered an average of $20,648. ... The average award to a successful consumer claimant in the sample was 52.1% of the amount claimed and to a successful business claimant was 93.0% of the amount claimed."

I don't know about you guys but if business claimants are getting 93% of the amount claimed 83.6% of the time, I'll take my chances in a courtroom every time.

From the Exective Summary, "Consumers won some relief in 53.3% of the cases they filed and recovered an average of $19,255; business claimants won some relief in 83.6% of their cases and recovered an average of $20,648. ... The average award to a successful consumer claimant in the sample was 52.1% of the amount claimed and to a successful business claimant was 93.0% of the amount claimed."

I don't know about you guys but if business claimants are getting 93% of the amount claimed 83.6% of the time, I'll take my chances in a courtroom every time.

You have to look at the big picture and not just the cases that go all the way to an arbitration hearing.

If you were to compare the numbers for cases that go all the way to trial in court, you would likely see similar numbers. The cases the businesses will pursue in arbitration are high dollar amounts that they have good evidence to back up, the same thing they would pursue to trial in court. The weak cases or smaller dollar amounts are likely to be settled or dropped before the arbitration commences. The ROI (return on investment) is just not there for them to pursue in that venue if the contract stipulates each side pay their own way.

For a larger and well documented claim, I think most of us would agree that arbitration would not make a lot of sense especially for a pro se.